Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4693: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

I just saw the movie!! [SPOILERS]

Any comments, ideas, fears about the movies? Post them here.

Postby consciousparticles » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:51 am

Indeed ValE! Though we all wish it could've been longer, it was nice that TCG didn't have a Wagnerian running length. They sorta had to have characters meet quickly or else the film would've gotten bogged down. And if you think about it, the characters meet up like this more or less in the book as well. The book is extremely fast paced.

I liked that TCG wasn't more than 2 hours. Pete Jackson gets outta hand sometimes.

But being the incurable nerd that I am, I can't wait 'til the Director's Cut.
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby rainbowdarling » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:18 pm

So, you liked that it was short but can't wait for the long version to come out. I see...

:P
rainbowdarling
Zalif
Zalif

Postby Dark Fantasies » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:02 pm

lol Funny. I bet we all can't, but maybe there will be more to come. :P
friendship, tragedy, and love; makes a hug will go a long way.
Dark Fantasies
Photograms Vice Administrator
Photograms Vice Administrator

Dæmon Species: Artic Fox
Dæmon Name: Darwin

Postby consciousparticles » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:27 am

rainbowdarling wrote:So, you liked that it was short but can't wait for the long version to come out. I see...

:P

Watching an extended cut on DVD at home is a lot different than watching a 3 hour plus film in the theatre 'cause you can pause it and go pee or take a dump or stop it and watch the rest of the next day. Return of the King was way too long! And I can say that as a fan of that series.
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby Kirramagic » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:23 am

That's the trouble with Peter Jackson, he makes his films too long.
Victory isn't found in always winning but in rising every time you fall.
Kirramagic
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby Lyrael » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:36 am

Funny!I would have watched an hour or two more of LotR, just to stay with my beloved characters a little more...That's the problem with movie and book I love, I would like them to never end!

By the way, I finally saw the movie yesterday, and this is my opinion in short: first hour and an half good, with a lot of action and a clever adaptation, quite easy to understand also for people who didn't read the book (poor them!); the last part of the movie was confused, with a lot of annoying cuts and an end I did not understand...My goodness, is shamefully full of sugar! :x Quite horrible, as the song "Lyra", but that's another thread...Now that I've seen the movie, I can honestly ask myself and Chris Weitz: why cutting the book's end? To have a staggerly happy ending? Please...
Anyway, I liked the movie pretty much in its totality, so I really can't complain it.
Oh, Wind!If Winter comes, how can Spring be far? -P. B. Shelley-

Hope with no guarantees. -J-R.R.Tolkien-

Movie Lover!!

...Toward the Blue Peninsula...
Lyrael
Watcher
Watcher

Postby rainbowdarling » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:36 pm

I did like the length of the Lord of the Rings movies. A bit long, but it never felt long. TGC started to feel long because I found it tiresome the way the plot pushed along so quickly and as a result, when it slowed a bit for the climactic bits at the end, I was already set to go. I think had it slowed a bit, my mental momentum wouldn't have built up and I would have been just fine to sit there for an epic-ish three-hour movie. Two and a half hours, at least, come on, New Line...
rainbowdarling
Zalif
Zalif

Postby Dust21 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:13 pm

...Is it too late to actually write about the movie? I only saw it tonight as it came out in Australia today.. finally.. but I imagine pretty much everything has already been said that I want to say..

But well I want to write something so I will anyway :P No great obligation to read it all..
Visually I liked it very much, really nicely shot and the sets were all fairly gorgeous, soundtrack was also good although I agree with whoever thinks that the song over the end credits is just far too lame >.>
The whole change in order made sense for the overall dramatic effect of the movie I guess, but the ending was perhaps a little too much of an anti-climax.. although maybe because I'm comparing it unintentionally with the ending of the actual book..
A couple of the other changes I didn't feel were positive were that Lyra learnt to read the alethiometer so quickly, and it wasn't explained how she did so at all, it confused a couple of my friends who hadn't read the book yet at least.
I did think that all the scenes in Svalbard amongst the bears were pretty impressive, especially the fight. But why can't they just call them Panserbjørne instead of ice bears. The audience can cope with the extra word, surely.

Aanyway that is my rant which may or may not have anything new since I haven't read the entire thread :P *takes breath*
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Dust21
True Sraffie
True Sraffie

Postby consciousparticles » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:15 am

rainbowdarling wrote:I did like the length of the Lord of the Rings movies. A bit long, but it never felt long. TGC started to feel long because I found it tiresome the way the plot pushed along so quickly and as a result, when it slowed a bit for the climactic bits at the end, I was already set to go. I think had it slowed a bit, my mental momentum wouldn't have built up and I would have been just fine to sit there for an epic-ish three-hour movie. Two and a half hours, at least, come on, New Line...

Well yeah, but being objective, when I watch LotR on DVD I skip forward a lot, especial RotK. As for TCG, on the one hand it was too short but on the other, I think it was nice to walk out of the theater and the sun was still up.

But I'm repeating myself at this point.

See it again. It's really good. Hope they make the sequels. End of transmission.
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby rainbowdarling » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:22 am

I don't currently plan on seeing it again, but thank you ever so much for your suggestion.

When I watch the Lord of the Rings DVDs, I set aside the time to watch them all, knowing the experience is long, but not without reason. I wouldn't complain if the Golden Compass DVD ended up in a similar state, although I doubt there's so much material that it will rival such a DVD length.
rainbowdarling
Zalif
Zalif

Postby consciousparticles » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:48 am

rainbowdarling wrote:I don't currently plan on seeing it again, but thank you ever so much for your suggestion.

When I watch the Lord of the Rings DVDs, I set aside the time to watch them all, knowing the experience is long, but not without reason. I wouldn't complain if the Golden Compass DVD ended up in a similar state, although I doubt there's so much material that it will rival such a DVD length.

To be truthful Rainbowdarling, I think world of TCG is more fascinating than Middle Earth (as I've stated countless times before and which you'll be sure to remind me of) and I would be less apt to skip through certain passages on the DVD.

But I've always been particle to late Victoriana. :wink:
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby rainbowdarling » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:51 am

I can say that I prefer the world of His Dark Materials to Middle Earth as well, and have the advantage there of having been able to actually stand the writing and therefore finish the books. My enjoyment of the movie regardless of its length has less to do with how much I enjoy the world versus another and more to do with how much I enjoyed the movie and think it's a well-done work.

If the Golden Compass series gets its sequels and gets similar treatment (which I am not necessarily expecting as I don't expect Chris Weitz is as prolific as Peter Jackson), I will gladly sit through ten hours worth of movies.
rainbowdarling
Zalif
Zalif

Postby Drizzt » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:11 am

I just watched it today (poor me), and the movie actually was better than I expected.
However, I also recently re-watched LOTR and have to say this movie really was no match in my opinion. Other than that, I pretty much agree with you guys :lol:
Drizzt
Steward
Steward

Postby consciousparticles » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:16 am

rainbowdarling wrote:I can say that I prefer the world of His Dark Materials to Middle Earth as well, and have the advantage there of having been able to actually stand the writing and therefore finish the books. My enjoyment of the movie regardless of its length has less to do with how much I enjoy the world versus another and more to do with how much I enjoyed the movie and think it's a well-done work.

If the Golden Compass series gets its sequels and gets similar treatment (which I am not necessarily expecting as I don't expect Chris Weitz is as prolific as Peter Jackson), I will gladly sit through ten hours worth of movies.

Indeed :!: But I still liked that it was still daytime when TGC was over.
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby rainbowdarling » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:12 pm

Easy to have it be light out still when you go to a midday showing. I never had the problem of it being dark out after I came out of the Lord of the Rings movies excepting in the case when I went in the late afternoon or early evening.

Likewise, it was still light out after I came out of The Golden Compass, but that's easy when you go to a 1PM showing. :)
rainbowdarling
Zalif
Zalif

Postby consciousparticles » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:08 am

I know Rainbowdarling. A bit of sarcasm never hurts, though. "Return of the King" was a little outta hand. So was "King Kong."
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby swanheart » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:25 am

OK, I have already seen the film four times and I must say that I like it very much, but it has some major flaws:

-As a fan, I missed the crueler and darker tone of the book, which made the story so ruthless and appealing (for example, the sccene where Lyra finds the child without his Dæmon was much more moving in the book).
I also think Lyra is not wild enough: I would have liked to see her getting drunk with Roger or even smoking (one of the things why I like the books is because they’re unusually incorrect, if you know what I mean).

-As a normal spectator I thought it was awesome in terms of photography and images and CGI effects, but it felt really rushed. I think it would have been a nearly perfect film if it had had a couple more of quiet “character scenes”. The film’s pace didn’t leave time to breathe and process all the information.

Besides this, I thought it was a brilliant, if a little bit childish, adaptation, and I would love to see “The Subtle Knife”. The acting was spot-on, although Lord Asriel and Ma Costa weren’t rough enough.
Last edited by swanheart on Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
swanheart
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby consciousparticles » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:31 am

I'm with ya swanheart! But in relation to other popular fantasy films as of late, I thought it was still pretty dark. When we see a movie of a favorite book, our personal imaginings as we read it can never be matched by the film incarnation. That's what makes books so much fun and more satisfying than movies most of the time! :D
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby Pantalaimon32 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:38 am

I just saw the movie on Monday while on vacation with my family, and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I'm glad they took out what they did, like the part with the night-ghasts, for example - because then the movie would have dragged on forever. The movie also made me change my favorite character from Pantalaimon to Iorek. A question though. Does anyone know what part Christopher Lee played? Thanks.
If you can't take the heat...DON'T TICKLE THE DRAGON!
Pantalaimon32
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby consciousparticles » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:27 am

Chris Lee played The first High Councilor or some such. I know New Line threw him in for LotR comparisons, but I love him anyways. He's a legend and an icon. Exquisitely menacing. :twisted:
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby Pantalaimon32 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:45 pm

consciousparticles wrote:Chris Lee played The first High Councilor or some such. I know New Line threw him in for LotR comparisons, but I love him anyways. He's a legend and an icon. Exquisitely menacing. :twisted:

Thanks very much. I'm also a LOTR fan, so I was surprised to see him in there - knowing that Ian McKellen was doing the voice of Iorek. It was a shock - two LOTR stars in a different movie? 8O
Pantalaimon32
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby consciousparticles » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 pm

New Line has that twisted Hollywood logic as was evident in those weird LotR style T.V. spots having the compass be like the One Ring or something. At least with their addition of McKellen and Lee it work for the film's benefit! :D
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby Pantalaimon32 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:23 am

Okay...that's weird. :lol:
Pantalaimon32
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby consciousparticles » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:17 am

Yeah! The commercials made it look like "The Fellowship Of The Compass" or some such.

Fans of both series know better. :wink:
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby TowerDragon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:45 am

Thats one thing I think that really put people off also they were trying to market the film as the next LOTR. In my mind no fantasy movie will ever top LOTR. (LOTR was a movie that comes along once in a generation) His Dark Materials are great books a personaly I like them better the LOTR books ( I cannot read Tolkien my attention span is not that good :D ) but in most peoples minds Tolkien is the father of modern fantasy and I have to agree with them for the most part.
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Tell Them Stories
TowerDragon
Zalif
Zalif

Dæmon Species: Panther

PreviousNext

Return to General Movie Discussion