Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4693: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

I just saw the movie!! [SPOILERS]

Any comments, ideas, fears about the movies? Post them here.

Postby consciousparticles » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:32 am

Yeah, TDragon, I think LotR (book and film) is awesome in scope and ambition and will be unchallenged for many years for that particular brand of fantasy (some use the term "sword and sorcery"), but there's so much more to the fantasy genre than "sword and sorcery. This is what first attracted me to TGC and HDM. At some point I want more than just another multi-episode extravaganza of magic, battles, and testosterone.

When I first heard about HDM over 10 years ago, my thoughts went something like this:

"You mean it's an epic fantasy and the main hero doesn't brandish a sword, isn't a dude, isn't a grown up, isn't the apprehensive heir to some ancient thrown, there's no dragons or ogre's, yet there's still a plethora of fantastic characters and beings, tons of action, and somehow it involves modern theories of astrophysics???
Sounds interesting!"

Little did I know it was going to mean so much to me. Now I'm here.

Is HDM on par with the LOTR books? Absolutely!

Are they different? Completely!

I wish New Line would've respected this when they set about their asinine marketing campaign!!!
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby TowerDragon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am

Little did I know it was going to mean so much to me. Now I'm here.

Is HDM on par with the LOTR books? Absolutely!

Are they different? Completely!

I was New Line would've respected this when they set about their asinine marketing campaign!!!

I agree great points there also don't forget that LOTR and CoN were pubished 50 years ago they have had enough time to gather steam and become well known. ( I have actually heard that LOTR is the most read book behind the bible now if thats true thats incredible) HDM has only been around for 13 year or so and are not that well known in the States. the boycott I think have got people interested and they are very popular on Amazon right now this boycott has raised awareness of the books. Will it be a boon to the next two movies? I think it will.
Last edited by TowerDragon on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Tell Them Stories
TowerDragon
Zalif
Zalif

Dæmon Species: Panther

Postby consciousparticles » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:17 am

Right again TowerDragon! And just think, in those 50 years there's been a host of countless LOTR ripoffs in all manner of media (books, movies, videogames, you name it.) This is what I mean when I say I get sick of "multi-episode extravaganzas of magic, battles, and testosterone", not specifically LOTR itself. That'd be pretty ridiculous for anyone to say (though Mr. Pullman has said this on several occasions. He's forgiven.)! :D

And, yes! The HDM fan base will continue to grow.

As for the film, it continues to improve the more I see it. And I sincerely feel that it will be viewed fondly and frequently in years to come.

Now start the sequels already New Line! :wink:
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby louis_loves_his_dark_mate » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:43 am

yay i saw it on the first day it was really good except for 2 things...#1 they rated it PG but they should have made it M mainly because of #2 in the bit where iorek and the bear king fight when iorek rippes the bear kings jaw off there is no blood???and#3 when those goblers/kidnappers(diferent in the book)tryed to ge lyra the gyptians saved her by shooting an arow at them. in the book there is blood. in the movie none???but i have to say they made the Dæmon look really good and the special FX were great..so yeah it was good ..^_^
louis_loves_his_dark_mate
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Postby consciousparticles » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:35 am

HDM was rated "PG-13" in the U.S., louis.
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby bekkums » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:59 am

I just saw the movie for the first time :D it was pretty good... don't see why there was all that complaining :p

Na it was good. I liked it. Might see it again on Tuesday.
One of the areas of greatest internal disagreement [in Western theology] is between those who insist that God as the divine Absolute must be eternal and thus timeless and changeless and those who argue that such changelessness, far from being an attribute of perfection, is actually a characteristic only of dead things or of abstract thought rather than of anything living.
- Grace Jantzen
bekkums
HDM Human Resources
HDM Human Resources

Dæmon Species: Wombat
Dæmon Name: Baz

Postby consciousparticles » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:07 am

That's the spirit Bekster! It's even better the more you see it. I was on the fence about it all until the second viewing. Lackluster you are not! :D
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby Alex123 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:30 am

Just seen the film. I was prepared beforehand having read the reviews but, I didn't realise how bad it would be. I'm very disappointed. I loved the books!
Although I thought the pictures were beautiful not enough attention was given to the story telling. It was just too fast. No one bonds that quickly.
How can Lyra all of sudden be best friends with everyone! I almost wish they had left bits out so that the characters could have developed more fully. I also dont understand how anyone could have let Chris Weiz write the screen play! Isn't it worth having one person dedicated to this? Not the director!
Omg some of the dialodge is just terrible! Telling the story is what film is all about and you cant neglect the words used in favour of beautiful scenery and stunning casting!
I think the script was the main thing that let the film down.
Thanks I really needed to get that out of my system!
Alex123
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Postby consciousparticles » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:38 am

That's really sad, Alex. Hope you feel better. :D Wish you all the best. You'll probably find the right forum just for you at sometime 'round here. Try looking under "Lackluster Fans". :D
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby Boydesy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:50 am

Great review. I completly agree with amost everything you said. Hated the end song though
We are standing on a planet that is much larger than our body. That planet orbits a star that is far more massive than our planet. That star lies in a galaxy that is greatly immense. We should feel small but we are not. The fact that we can think, love, hope and dream makes us bigger than the universe entire.
Boydesy
Gallivespian Captain
Gallivespian Captain

Dæmon Species: I'm from our world
Dæmon Name: N/A (maybe Suzy?)

Postby swanheart » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:33 pm

I love the movie, but I also have a couple of complaints: the pace and the tone.

The pace should have been slower, with more transicional scenes and definately more character development. This, however, is a flaw that might disappear if a director's cut DVD is released.

And the tone should have been darker, rawer and more adult. It's a kids movie. And the book is far from being a kids book, don't you think? Anyway, I hope the sequels are darker...
swanheart
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby rainbowdarling » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:10 pm

I thought the tone was a good way to start the trilogy. If they made it too dark, those who hadn't seen it before might have been turned off to it.

I expect that, with all of the things that are going to happen in the next two, the tone of those will be darker.
rainbowdarling
Zalif
Zalif

Postby violet93 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:36 am

I really hope so rainbowdarling. The tone of the sequels, should they be made *crosses fingers*, will have to be much darker. Though personally I think TGC could have done even better than it's doing now if the tone had been more dark and serious. I thought it was too trying-to-be-kid-friendly for a PG-13 rating, and too violent for a kids movie. They tried to aim it at too many age groups at once, and it didn't work.
violet93
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Postby rainbowdarling » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:31 am

It MIGHT have worked had they left in the parts that were hacked out in a misguided attempt to make it more appealing to general audiences. I'm really hoping we get a director's cut so that we can see what *might* have been.

Come down to it, though, if they want to get their money's worth out of the next two movies, they are going to have to tap the darker tone. I just don't see how it could be done successfully otherwise! It's kind of hard to sugarcoat things like the land of the dead, and like inevitable separation...

I dunno. Maybe New Line will gift us again with a not-as-good-as-it-could-be movie and the next two will attempt to be happy-happy.
rainbowdarling
Zalif
Zalif

Postby consciousparticles » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 am

I think I'm still one of the few who thought the film was pretty dark, or at least darker, than a lot of other fantasy films of late. Me and Roger Ebert, that is. :wink:
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby faze » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:59 pm

( I have actually heard that LOTR is the most read book behind the bible now if thats true thats incredible)

The bible is the second most printed book in the world. #1 is the Ikea mail order catalogue.
Fountain_Of_Dust wrote:Why, faze, O fountain of knowledge that thou art...

I'm not very nice, perhaps you noticed?

King of quarantine, most random, and my glory-thread was the best in quarantine all year. I AM YOUR KING.
faze
Rebel Without A Clue
Rebel Without A Clue

Dæmon Species: Crow
Dæmon Name: Felosia

Postby chastity » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:58 pm

Well, I dare say that (at least in the Western world) more people believe in Ikea than in the Bible.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs.
chastity

Postby consciousparticles » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:21 am

Our modern religion! :lol:
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby rainbowdarling » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:37 am

If there were an Ikea within 100 miles, I would go there weekly to worship. *sagenod*
rainbowdarling
Zalif
Zalif

Postby DarthAsriel » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 am

( I have actually heard that LOTR is the most read book behind the bible now if thats true thats incredible)

You mean it's no longer Atlas Shrugged? AT LAST! HA-HA!!

In your face, John Galt!
DarthAsriel
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby Numbat_62 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:34 am

I thought the movie was alright. I read the book again straight afterwards and it's so different! It's like the movie wasn't based on that book except it has the same story. It missed a lot of the book's.. hmm, wat's the word, sort of feel? I also imagined bolvangar and a lot of the cast different, but everyone pictures things differently so that's to be expected.I guess I'm used to outstanding movies like lotr, i thought that was done really well. TGC is pretty good though.
Numbat_62
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Postby Hazreth » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:25 am

Kay, I saw the film maybe a month ago, which actually isn't 'just', but I think I can write a few words about it here.

The film sucks. I'd seen it before I read the book and it made no sense - characters appearing on the screen for no reason, dialogues were really bad (but maybe it's a matter of translation)... Horrible dubbing, since I don't live in English-speaking country and the film was dubbed, like cartoons for, I don't know, 6 years old children.

And after seeing a film I had no idea, that The Magisterium=The Church, everything connected to The Chuch was removed. Many other things were also cut. And it really seemd to be a film for children.

I liked the film visually. It was really beautiful... To be honest, after seeing the trailer I wanted to see TGC, because I loved the Oxford, interiors, zeppelins, and the aletheiometer, as I love all mechanisms, clockworks, etc. Alas, it doesn't make a good film yet.

Oh, and the Dæmon. They were probably the best thing in whole film.

On the other hand, because of the film I've heard that there is something like The Golden Compass/Northern Lights book and whole HDM trilogy. And yes, the book is much better than a film and I really enjoyed it. At least, that's why I'm here ;)
Hazreth
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby hemliquina » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:27 pm

When I saw The Golden Compass the first time, I was kind of antsy and bored, you know? I don't know why that was, but I dunno. Maybe I was just anxious to see everything in the books and stuff.

The second time I saw it, I enjoyed it waaaayy more then I did the first time. Maybe it's because when I first saw it I was with friends and the second time I was by myself.
We've been seeing what you want, you've got us cornered right now...
Falling alseep from our vanity may cost us our lives...

~~ T H E H O W L I N G; W I T H I N T E M P T A T I O N
hemliquina
Scholar
Scholar

Location: Chilling out the chilly recesses of Canada, probably reading, writing, or playing video games.

Postby JoeSchmo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:48 pm

I think that the plot was choppy and it screwed up the story, but i liked it nonetheless.
http://bux.to/?r=JoeSchmo

Seems so unjust - no camera, not even a photograph of her for him to have

But he'll never forget
JoeSchmo
Zalif
Zalif

Postby consciousparticles » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 am

hemliquina wrote:When I saw The Golden Compass the first time, I was kind of antsy and bored, you know? I don't know why that was, but I dunno. Maybe I was just anxious to see everything in the books and stuff.

The second time I saw it, I enjoyed it waaaayy more then I did the first time. Maybe it's because when I first saw it I was with friends and the second time I was by myself.

I had a similar experience. After the third time I saw it, I really liked it and couldn't shut up about it on this site! :D
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

PreviousNext

Return to General Movie Discussion