Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4693: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

I just saw the movie!! [SPOILERS]

Any comments, ideas, fears about the movies? Post them here.

Postby -:[Peter]:- » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:44 pm

Saw it last night.

I wasn't very impressed with the film at all.

The two good points were Lee Scoresby and Hester are the most realistic/true to the book, and Ragnar's voice was brilliant.

Other than that I was pretty disappointed .
ICan'tWaitToSeeYouSmile

ThereWereSoManyFewerQuestionsWhen StarsWereJustTheHolesToHeaven
-:[Peter]:-
News Vice Administrator
News Vice Administrator

Postby consciousparticles » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:07 am

It's better the second and third time. Trust me!
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby Phit » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:15 pm

Oh, do go on - it's even better the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh. Plus then you can start watching the audience at the golden monkey's appearance and the bear fight, and noticing movie errors.
-be a pal...pass the mead
Phit
His Dark Media Staff
His Dark Media Staff

Postby namster » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:01 pm

Phit wrote:Oh, do go on - it's even better the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh. Plus then you can start watching the audience at the golden monkey's appearance and the bear fight, and noticing movie errors.

I'm miles ahead on all of those counts. For shame?
namster
Steward
Steward

Postby Into-Dust » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 pm

ok...I FINALLY saw it in english, and I don't really have much more to add. I can see though, to a non book reader it would seem ridiculous the way it jumps from thing to thing. Mrs Coulters house for example, needed more development other than flashes of Lyra getting her hair done.

There are only three things I really hated...
-The voiceover at the start. I was a little embaressed.
-Mrs Coulter's hair and dress in the dining hall scene was just awful. What was with those big round curls?
-Fra Pavel was a crap actor.

And I cannot believe that Nicole got paid 15mil. What an absolute waste of money! Don't get me wrong, I love her but seriously...15 mil for what, 12 minutes of screen time?

Loved Dakota, I loved it when she slammed the door at Mrs Coulter then screamed 'AHHHHH I hate her!'

I was also really impressed with Roger. The kid was great, I really felt for him. More than in the book, if they had kept in the ending I reckon I would have cried.
Last edited by Into-Dust on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take us the foxes
The Little Foxes
That spoil the vines
For our vines have tender grapes
Into-Dust
en pointe
en pointe

Postby Faa » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:12 pm

There were bits in the Movie when I almost cried, but I didn't. I loved the Movie so much I bought the book and then I wept buckets.
Faa
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Postby TowerDragon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:35 am

I cry when I watch Tuckers end footage storyboards if the end of Weitz's film is any thing like that then I admit I will lose it wheter we seen it in a directors cut of the film or in the TSK ( I still think however that it would of been much better placed at the end of the theaterical release of TGC) but oh well. Lets hope we see this in all it glory someday and New Line does not just let it sitting on the cutting room floor.
Last edited by TowerDragon on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Tell Them Stories
TowerDragon
Zalif
Zalif

Dæmon Species: Panther

Postby lyra.silvertongue » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:46 pm

anna11 wrote:I was also really impressed with Roger. The kid was great, I really felt for him. More than in the book, if they had kept in the ending I reckon I would have cried.

*randomly joins discussion* I definitely agree. In the book Roger was just some random kid who tagged along with Lyra to me, but in the movie I felt attached to him. I was dreading the ending, but then when the ending didn't come I was furious!

Overall I was impressed with all the young actors in the movie. Roger was good, Billy Costa was good too, and Lyra was amazing! She played the character so well, I thought I was going to cry when the end came and she was all alone. But again, of course, it was the wrong ending. That really pissed me off. I think they shoul release a special 4-hour director's cut.
lyra.silvertongue
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Postby consciousparticles » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:41 am

Yup. The kids were the best- as it should be :D
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby ForbiddenFruit » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:19 am

I was really impressed with the special effects, especially that wide shot of the zeppelin over London, that just took my breath away.
What do you know about Dust?
The Copper Key
Dæmon: Lysianthia (Lion)
"You can't lead a calvary charge if you think you look funny on a horse." -Adalai Stephenson
ForbiddenFruit
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Dæmon Species: Lion
Dæmon Name: Lysianthia

Postby ijvevhm » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:31 am

RAWR!!!!!!!! they did a bad job with the ending... completely wrong... i was looking foreward to seeing Roger die! the effects would've been awesome! not only that, but Roger's death is pretty much what inspired Lyra in TAS... ARRRRRRRG! it was reasonbaly accurate though... i was expecting it to b like Eragon. my god, but the movie was nothing like the book... thankfully, it wasnt the case here... anyways... movie was reasonably good... :)
Name: Anwyn
Form: Lynx (most likely settled)
Traits: Modest, humble, spontaneous, solitary, quisitive.
Other: Silvery white fur, yellow green eyes. Can be friendy, but protective. Annoyed easily, especially by other Dæmon. Hates insects or bugs in any form. also is not fond of snakes. You get the picture.
ijvevhm
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Postby consciousparticles » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:47 am

No sh*t ijvevhm! All us here feel the same way.
consciousparticles
Zalif
Zalif

Postby Neptune » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:09 pm

In the bear fight scene, and it was the first day of the movie (back in DEC), everyone was shouting, rejoicing, yay-ing over the victory of Iorek over Ragnur *wince*. He did blow of Ragnur's *wince* whole jaw.

Ragnur *wince* Ragnur *wince* Ragnur *wince

Iofur Iofur Iofur

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT NAME!! :evil:
.Stay with me tonight. .流れる星熱く. .闇をすべる. .Stay with me tonight. .光受け思い出させて. .Hold me.

CSA'08: Most Flirtatious, Biggest Attention Whore/Spammer/Post Whore, Svalbard Moment
CSA'09: Runner-up Camwhore, 3rd Sexiest
CSA'10: Most Missed

.Twitter. .Facebook. .Last.fm.
Neptune
Twilight Saga Moderator
Twilight Saga Moderator

Dæmon Species: Red bishop bird
Dæmon Name: Lelouch
Team: Edward

Postby Rossabo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:23 pm

Lyra-asia wrote:In the bear fight scene, and it was the first day of the movie (back in DEC), everyone was shouting, rejoicing, yay-ing over the victory of Iorek over Ragnur *wince*. He did blow of Ragnur's *wince* whole jaw.

Ragnur *wince* Ragnur *wince* Ragnur *wince

Iofur Iofur Iofur

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT NAME!! :evil:
I like how they changed his name. People who hadn't read the books would be even more confused if his name was Iofur.
Life's not fair, is it?
Rossabo
Scholar
Scholar

Postby Neptune » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:56 am

They really need to stop spoonfeeding the audience, if you tell me.
.Stay with me tonight. .流れる星熱く. .闇をすべる. .Stay with me tonight. .光受け思い出させて. .Hold me.

CSA'08: Most Flirtatious, Biggest Attention Whore/Spammer/Post Whore, Svalbard Moment

Neptune
Twilight Saga Moderator
Twilight Saga Moderator

Postby will and lyra » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:01 pm

huh,, I loved the film.. but it was still very different from what I had expected. The fight-sceene in the end and the start of it was absolutly awsom... I loved Lyra (dakota) and mrs coulter and serafina Pekkala! And, yeah the film was almost perfect,, they shouldnt have cutted the end.. that was a big mistake.. but now are they going to make TSK, so if you were dissepointed about that the last chapters were cuted away, think: the subtle knife is going to be longer.. :D
Children have more importent things in mind than wordplay...
will and lyra
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby Elektra_666 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:42 pm

I really like the film. Dakota Blue Richards is great Lyra, Nicole Kidman is perfect Marisa, apart from her hair's colour ^^ Marisa as blondie... interesting and funny) Daniel Craig... I don't like him very much, but he is cool as Asriel) Pity there were not many scenes with him. Ice bears and particulary Iorek are GREAT. Moment with "no jaw" is very well, I like it) Dæmon, other CGI - very good, the world is very realistic. But the atmosphere of book - dark and tragic - was lost. Everything is very bright, where is blood in bear-fighting scene? The raiting of the film had to be higher! Not PG-13...
But the film is cool, really cool. I want a director's version with cut scenes!
PS. Fra Pavel is cool ^___^ so... lovely) like a teddy bear :D
PPS. If they do not make TSK movie, it will be a great dissapointment for me...
Elektra_666
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Re: I just saw the movie!! [SPOILERS]

Postby KenBrasai » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:38 pm

Personaly, I liked the movie. However, after I read the book (I actually saw the movie before reading the book; I only became a fan of HDM after reading The Amber Spyglass), I could feel now a bit disapointed, but still I like the movie.

Things I liked

-They revealed the main themes of the series like Dæmon, parallel worlds and Dust at the begining, while you have to discover that in the book; it is helpull for people who had never read the books

-The CGI imagery was amazing

-The soundtrack was awsome (the musics simply don't leave my head :lol: )

-Iofur Raknison's name was changed to Ragnar Sturlusson; personaly, I prefer that name

Things I didn't liked

-In the movie there's really no explanation why intercision is evil, while in the book you feel sad for the Dæmon and children that suffered with that

-The bear fight was short, and there's really no explanation why Iofur/Ragnar doesn't deserve the throne. Also, in the book Iofur/Ragnar was an opressive force, and in the movie he's simply an evil looking king

-I didn't saw Pantalaimon transform into a dragon :cry:

-I didn't saw cliff-ghasts

-Kaisa is absent
I love His Dark Materials and Circles. Both remind me that being alive is more important than go to Heaven.

Grrr, I curse swedish fish at you!

Come to see my satanical site:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Terra_Alternativa/index/
KenBrasai
Aëronaut
Aëronaut

Dæmon Species: raven
Dæmon Name: Njord

Postby Into-Dust » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:45 am

I just saw it again, and oh dear I wish I hadn't. I only say stuff I didn't like. It was so superficial, not at all like the book at all. That's exactly how I was hoping it wouldn't be.

Also, Nicole Kidman was....not as good as I remember, or she could have been.
Take us the foxes
The Little Foxes
That spoil the vines
For our vines have tender grapes
Into-Dust
en pointe
en pointe

Re:

Postby jennay2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Elektra_666 wrote: I want a director's version with cut scenes!

In the video game, it goes beyond the movie, and actually has missing movie excerpts. I HOPE and think there will be cut parts in the dvd extras! Why would they put it in the video game and not the dvd?
jennay2
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby Neptune » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:17 am

KenBrasai wrote:Personaly, I liked the movie. However, after I read the book (I actually saw the movie before reading the book; I only became a fan of HDM after reading The Amber Spyglass), I could feel now a bit disapointed, but still I like the movie.

Things I liked

-I didn't saw Pantalaimon transform into a dragon :cry:

Yeah! Me too!

Neptune
Twilight Saga Moderator
Twilight Saga Moderator

Postby CMR » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:26 am

Still haven't seen all of it.

I got about 66% through it when my internet stream decided to crash on me, and now i can't be bothered to sit through all the stuff i've already seen.
You pull me through time.
CMR
Time Lord Victorious
Time Lord Victorious

Re: Re:

Postby Elektra_666 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:07 pm

jennay2 wrote: I HOPE and think there will be cut parts in the dvd extras! Why would they put it in the video game and not the dvd?

I hope they will put all cut scenes in the dvd. If they don't, it will be a big dissapointment.
Elektra_666
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby Cheater » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:20 pm

I dont see why it has to be 2 hours long.

Books like this should be done in 3 hours at least. There is no other way to do it.
The LOTR movies were 3 and a half hours long.

I dont believe little kids will fully appreciate the movie and thus they shouldnt cut down the movie for them.
Engineers are really good at labeling and branding things. If they had named Kentucky Fried Chicken, it would have been Hot Dead Birds

Bogan Bek wrote:I reckon I should insult people with native aussie animals: "Errrrr ya numbat!!!"
Cheater
His Dark Media Staff
His Dark Media Staff

Dæmon Species: Cheetah
Dæmon Name: Çita
Team: Jacob

Postby my_twisted_fairytale » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:25 am

Cheater wrote:I dont see why it has to be 2 hours long.

Books like this should be done in 3 hours at least. There is no other way to do it.
The LOTR movies were 3 and a half hours long.

Exactly. Plenty of little kids sat through LOTR and didn't complain, surely they could've put in another, what half an hour at least? Surely that'd cover the ending of NL and other little parts.

I was really looking forward to seeing Kaisa guiding the "ghost-dæmons" away from Bolvangar, so was pretty disappointed when that wasn't in the movie.

I have a bad feeling the proper ending won't be on the DVD extras either - they probably won't put it in so they don't spoil the "beginning" of TSK for people who haven't read the books. Grrrrr... :evil:
:bopping: <----- what I would love to do to the people who made that decision to cut the end scene...
or this
:mg: hehehehehehehehehe MWAHAHAHAHA... revenge is my speciality *cue finger pyramid of evil a la Monty Burns*
Love is a psychopath
my_twisted_fairytale
Scholar
Scholar

Dæmon Species: Red Panda
Dæmon Name: Rakkanteki

PreviousNext

Return to General Movie Discussion