Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›

If Philip Pullman were reading...

In here you can talk about his writing, life, public appearances etc.

If Philip Pullman were reading...

Postby chaza4991 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:39 pm

Sorry if this allready exists, i had a quick look but didnt see anything. This thread is basically anything you would want to say to philip pullman. You never know ~ he might just visit this site sum day.
You can also ask his questions.

I'll start:

Philip Pullman - I recently read HDM trilogy and though it was amazing. I have read overs of your books including Clockworks and now intend to read more. TAS was really sad but necessary I think. I was sad for several days after reading the final Chapters but I know there was no over way. Thanks for this great writing and I look forward to yuor next book.
Deamon ~ Makaña ☺
Form ~ unsettled, likes to take form of staffs, tiger, monkey and ferret ☼

I will make the republic of heaven
chaza4991
College Master
College Master

Postby AnneMaria » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:05 pm

Phil... I'm literary in love with you. Your stories are wonderful inspirations. If my ultimate dream of becoming a professional author ever comes true - which it will, I won't allow it not to - I'll have to thank you. Writers are nothing without each other, and I would be a far less talented writer without you. Thank you so much, Philip.
Put smarties tubes on cats legs make them walk like a robot
AnneMaria
Experimental Theologian
Experimental Theologian

Dæmon Species: Tiger
Dæmon Name: Lutheus

Postby ArcT » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:20 pm

Mr Pullman,

There are a very few people in this world that have one talent that stands out amongst every other in their field. Music has genius that ranges from Beethoven to John Rzeznik, art's genius includes Monet to Constable, science has Einstein, Newton, Galileo and countless others, but there is really just one series that says genius in literature, and that's solely yours.

You said in your afterword in The Amber Spyglass that you took inspiration from everything you ever read and saw, that there's nothing original about what you write. That's where you're set apart from everybody else; you bring those ideas together in such a way that makes people want to come together and form bonds across an entire planet. Your books have given people who have absolutely no other reasons for meeting lasting friendships and have brought people from every discernable background together. This community, Bridgetothestars, the Sraf network, your global legions of fans and every person who has ever heard your name would not have the same kindred spirituality as they do now if you had not written what you have, and if I achieve even a fraction of what you've done, my life will be more of a success than I could have hoped.

If I had a hat on, it would be immediately removed. My greatest respect to you and your work.
CAN IT WAIT FOR A BIT? I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF SOME CALIBRATIONS.
ArcT
Opinions Administrator
Opinions Administrator

Dæmon Species: Tawny Owl
Dæmon Name: Tiao'ri

Postby ForbiddenFruit » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:38 am

Mr. Pullman,

Just one thing to say,
thanks for opening my eyes.

-"Dean"
What do you know about Dust?
The Copper Key
Dæmon: Lysianthia (Lion)
"You can't lead a calvary charge if you think you look funny on a horse." -Adalai Stephenson
ForbiddenFruit
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Dæmon Species: Lion
Dæmon Name: Lysianthia

Postby seyla » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Philip Pullman,

I can't honestly say how much I owe you. I first read the books in the last year of my Primary school. They matured me to such an extent and gave me such a different view on life it scared me. I make a pact with myself to read the books at least once every two years (so I don't remember much of the story line and they still effect me) and each time I burst out crying.
In these books you've brought many people together. Not only the forums like Cittagazze but in real life. Someone on here got together with their husband because they had both read your books. They named their little girl Lyra. Cittagazze has a strong bond, we are a lot like a family and it is only because of HDM.
You've shown me the true power of words and I can't thank you enough.

Emma
    And your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body.
seyla
með bláberjum
með bláberjum

Dæmon Species: Snow Leopard
Dæmon Name: Feliðan

Postby TowerDragon » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Dear Mr. Pullman,

As a Christian who has read HDM series. I truly want to thank you for writing HDM not only have you opened my eyes to some on aspects on my faith that truly need to change, but Im sure you have affected many others like me. I truly think that every person of religion should read these books, and take your message in HDM to heart. Religion is not about making the world better for yourself which in my opinion so many people tend to have that mindset, but making the world a better place for everyone here. (not through Indoctrination but though acts of kindness and love the true teaching of Jesus Christ) I really think that so many people forget that. The end of HDM will stay with me until the day I die. I just want to thank you so much for making my life so much better with your books.

-Thank you Jacob
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Tell Them Stories
TowerDragon
Zalif
Zalif

Dæmon Species: Panther

Postby Jessica99 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:05 am

Dear Mr Pullman,
You said you wanted to, so please turn down any more requests for stories so you can get your head down and get on with 'The Book Of Dust'.
And by the way, thank you for 'His Dark Materials' trilogy plus companions, the best set of writing ever.
We all need room to dream.

My dæmon is a cynical hare called Alexius (Alex). It isn't easy, but if you do gain his trust he is unfailingly loyal.
Jessica99
Scholar
Scholar

Dæmon Species: Hare
Dæmon Name: Alexius

Re: If Philip Pullman were reading...

Postby KenBrasai » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:00 pm

Dear Phillip Pullman,
You're triology is THE master piece of literature! I have to say that even here in Portugal, the forgotten country of Europe, you have a faithfull fan that is willing to help you in any way. From the moment I read The Amber Spyglass I decided to know more about HDM and about you. Of course I had problems, since the portuguese title of the books, Mundos Paralelos ("Parallel Worlds" in english) was completly different from the original english title, but I went throw that thanks to Svalbard. I'm a big fan of yours and I'm amazed how you managed to create a fantastic story using mythology, religion, metaphysics and, of course, Dust. I'm also eternally gratefull to you for opening my eyes. You know, you are right in saying that C.S. Lewis is a bad influence; I'm ashamed for once being seduced by his narnia books. I would like to say that your inspiration on Paradise Lost was interesting; John Milton does need to be acknowledged. To finish, I would like to say that I'm planning to write a fantasy triology like yours. If it is traduced into english please read :wink:

Your biggest lusitanian fan,
Carlos
I love His Dark Materials and Circles. Both remind me that being alive is more important than go to Heaven.

Grrr, I curse swedish fish at you!

Come to see my satanical site:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Terra_Alternativa/index/
KenBrasai
Aëronaut
Aëronaut

Dæmon Species: raven
Dæmon Name: Njord

Postby Boydesy » Fri May 02, 2008 5:42 pm

I would simply say

I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your life to create this. Not many people, even other writers would endeavor over several years to create a work with as broad of a scope as yours, in what must have required a great deal of researched and accumulated knowledge. I know that writing is your livelihood and you need it to pay the bills, but in that process you have made something that will be loved and cherished for generations. Oh and, if it's not too much trouble, could you sign my book?
We are standing on a planet that is much larger than our body. That planet orbits a star that is far more massive than our planet. That star lies in a galaxy that is greatly immense. We should feel small but we are not. The fact that we can think, love, hope and dream makes us bigger than the universe entire.
Boydesy
Gallivespian Captain
Gallivespian Captain

Dæmon Species: I'm from our world
Dæmon Name: N/A (maybe Suzy?)

Postby Bathl321 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Philip Pullman. It is hard to tell how much have you done. You have truly chanced many people just by writing books! Many children that have first hated books have chanced their thoughts. I thank you for writing His Dark Materials. We all do. And even thought the church says your writing is "anti-religic" you have a right to write.
Forgiving others is easy. Forgiving yourself isn't.
Bathl321
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: raven
Dæmon Name: Nigerlux
Team: Edward

Return to Philip Pullman