Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›

is it real?

This forum is for all the stuff related to the second book in the trilogy: The Subtle Knife.

Postby LordEC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:31 pm

A Knife that cuts through worlds and any other material

i can see the idea of a blade that can cut through any material, but through worlds?.......

(I would love to have that knife though i would go to the place the witches go to seperate my soul to a Dæmon)
LordEC
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Re: is it real?

Postby dannyyyy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:24 pm

i think there is paralell universes but i woudnt wanna go lyras even tho it would be interestin.
cos in her world every1 would look at u and do experiments cos u aint got a Dæmon
"Time waits for no one"
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
dannyyyy
Rebel Commander
Rebel Commander

Dæmon Species: Eagle
Dæmon Name: Kiyoshi

Postby LyraPanFan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:43 pm

That's why we must realize our dæmons, or do as LordEC would like to do quickly! (separate our souls to dæmons)
LyraPanFan
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: arctic fox
Dæmon Name: Hironazyvi

Postby HDMforever » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:45 pm

Of course. :P But I don't think they'd do experiments on you...the Magisterium is pretty much gone, remember. Lol.
"True love doesn't have a happy ending. True love doesn't have an ending." -Anonymous-

"He thought she would die of her grief there and then. She flung herself into his arms, clinging passionately to his shoulders, pressing her nails into his back and her face into his neck, and all he could hear was, "No--no--no..."" -Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass, pg. 485
HDMforever
Zalif
Zalif

Dæmon Species: Pine Marten
Dæmon Name: Niophus

Postby willislyra » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:37 am

we would all be dead if their was b/c in the amber spyglass angel xaphina tells will everytime he opens a world a specter is born
"because He's Will"
http://i34.tinypic.com/244cw06.jpg-my favorite and ur probably favorite seen in the amber spyglass

will and lyra loved each other thats all to it
willislyra
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: red and black ferret
Dæmon Name: cobiy

Postby Dustbin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:07 pm

As for the subtle knife existing? Well, it could be possible to create a blade so sharp that its edges are a single atom thick, and its point ends in a single atom. That knife would be sharp as hell, and could probably cut through most things.

If they create technology to open portals into alternate universes, then it could perhaps be possible to incorporate that technology into, say, the handle of a knife.

Combine those two, and you're close. But it probably wouldn't be quite like the knife in the books.

And I love the idea that Will is Pullman. Especially because he was able to write Lyra's Oxford, thus proving that they somehow got back together!
Dustbin
Steward
Steward

Dæmon Species: Cat
Dæmon Name: Phalanx

Postby KatrinaSilvertongue » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:17 pm

I think so. Um... perhaps not yet or here through.
Spoiler:
Hiya. Dis is ma spoiler. I hope it spoilt your day.

Spoiler:
And dis one.

I love you
^hope something EATS
KatrinaSilvertongue
College Master
College Master

Dæmon Species: Unsettled Still
Dæmon Name: His Name? Uh...

Postby dannyyyy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:28 am

it would be gd if it was real but i doubt it, and it would be in cittagazze so we couldnt get it until they open into our world.

and i would live in Lyras world with a wolf demon.
"Time waits for no one"
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
dannyyyy
Rebel Commander
Rebel Commander

Dæmon Species: Eagle
Dæmon Name: Kiyoshi

Postby Ancient_7 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:56 pm

His Dark Materials is a book, it's a fictional work based on theories, myths, creativity, etc...

EVEN if parallel universes do exist, there's no way we could be sure Lyra's world would/could exist and I really doubt such world would exist. Perhaps some things which can be found in literature or mythology and religion do exist in some parallel world but it would be rather strange to find all of them (including Lyra and Pan) existing in a single world, and, everyone can agree on that fact I guess, it would be quite disapointing. The books would be less interesting if fiction were to be true and they would seem uncreative.

As for the subtle knife, if it exist -which I highly doubt because it's would be very coincidential - I doubt they would have gave it this exact name / look / function.

Anyway, the only theory I've read about parallel worlds was a theory according to which every time we make a decision another world exist in which we made another decision. You can clearly imagine that if such parallel worlds exist, there's more chance to find a world in which PP hasn't written any books or a world in which TGC movie has sequels than a world in which Dæmon exist as corporeal beings (and prove that souls exists indeed and that our personality is probably determined at birth -proving every single determist theory) or a world in which one could find the subtle knife.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that most people would be disapointed when meeting their Dæmon in Lyra's world because of it's definitive form because there's probably not a lot of people who really know which form they would settle as according to their personality since most people choose an animal they like or find cool instead of liking an animal because they settled as this one. (And I'm including myself in this problem because, even though I've questioned myself much and didn't prefer the owl form but usually grow attached to it, I can't be sure my Dæmon would be a tawny owl at all.)
Ancient_7
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: Tawny Owl
Dæmon Name: Philathèna

Postby Danz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:15 am

I wouldn't wish for something like that to exist. It's outcomes were pretty dangerous.
But if there had been, I would use it just for a second to get my Dæmon. :D
"...And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!"
(Lord Byron)
Danz
Aëronaut
Aëronaut

Dæmon Species: White-Browed Tit-War
Dæmon Name: Talmai
Team: Edward

Postby Bathl321 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:54 pm

HDM has many scientific facts. There are parallel universes and they're here in same position than this universe. But I don't think that there is a knife that could cut a window in those.
Forgiving others is easy. Forgiving yourself isn't.
Bathl321
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: raven
Dæmon Name: Nigerlux
Team: Edward

Postby tearsintheearth » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:20 pm

But If there are infinite parallel universes then surely the probability that there is a knife that cuts through them in one of them is high?
"we have to build the republic of heaven where we are because for us there is no elsewhere"
All's for the best in the best of all possible worlds
Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die
tearsintheearth
Steward
Steward

Dæmon Species: Kestrel
Dæmon Name: Αεì πιστός

Previous

Return to The Subtle Knife