Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4693: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Will

This forum is for all the stuff related to the second book in the trilogy: The Subtle Knife.

Postby Aduial_Undomiel » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:44 am

I wish a guy could fall in love with me that passionately...it was so beautiful! He was one of my fave characters, i have heaps (Lyra=Pan, Will=Kirjava, Iorek, Lee, Seraffina and the mulefa).
Will's totally my type of guy, like to meet him one day. He's so brave, strong, cool and so decent too, not many guys are like that. It's also hard to get them good looking when they're decent...
Un esprit qui marche de lueur en lueur... et qui s'arrête éperdu au bords de l'infini


J'ai revé de mille chemins... je me suis réveillée, et j'ai repris le mien.
User avatar
Aduial_Undomiel
Rebel Commander
Rebel Commander
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:55 am
Location: at the beach- my life, my love, my world

Will

Postby lyra2 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:30 pm

Yes, I agree, I think he's the main character beside Lyra. I admire him cuz he never lies. I have nearly finished Amber spyglass, but not yet, and as i have finished subtle knife i thought id come here. I imagine will as really cute, open and sensitive about his mum
dæmon's name: Macto
form: unsettled, though likes to take the form of a wildcat
ps. anyone like to add my msnm they're welcome to!
lyra2
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:30 pm
Location: uk

Postby chastity » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:09 pm

I don't think Will is somebody you'd fancy in real life. I don't know, of course.

It's just... from his description, he's the most "uncool" guy. He'd be the guy watching the love of his life being picked up by some cool football player.
I like that about him. He's not the obvious hero. (Take his ability not to be seen, for example.)
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs.
User avatar
chastity
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 9453
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:48 pm
Gender: Female

Postby Aduial_Undomiel » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:48 pm

I agree and disagree. I disagree with the fact that he's uncool. Well, i agree slightly, but what i love is that PP describes a character that is different and reveals to us why that might be.
I pictured him as really cute too.
Un esprit qui marche de lueur en lueur... et qui s'arrête éperdu au bords de l'infini


J'ai revé de mille chemins... je me suis réveillée, et j'ai repris le mien.
User avatar
Aduial_Undomiel
Rebel Commander
Rebel Commander
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:55 am
Location: at the beach- my life, my love, my world

Postby chastity » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:00 am

In order for his not being seen he's got to have a face that's not extraordinary. So he can't be strikingly good-looking.
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

I like escalators, because an escalator can never break; it can only become stairs.
User avatar
chastity
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 9453
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:48 pm
Gender: Female

Postby Aduial_Undomiel » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:22 am

For me a strikingly good looking boy is actually rather plain, i don't like manicured boys and i especially don't like cute boys who know they're cute *shudder*.
Un esprit qui marche de lueur en lueur... et qui s'arrête éperdu au bords de l'infini


J'ai revé de mille chemins... je me suis réveillée, et j'ai repris le mien.
User avatar
Aduial_Undomiel
Rebel Commander
Rebel Commander
 
Posts: 1949
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:55 am
Location: at the beach- my life, my love, my world

Postby Cephaler » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:40 pm

I must say..Will is my most favourite character in HDM...probably because I read the Subtle Knife first and first impression helps alot...but...I thought of him as someone like myself :lol: He's really like me, in his personality and all.
I'm a dreamer, leader, adovcate, idealist, moral philosopher, theoretical physicist, friend, lover, humanist...

Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum

Value life

User avatar
Cephaler
Invisible Angel
Invisible Angel
 
Posts: 2695
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Waves on the bed of the World.
Gender: Male

Postby Neptune » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:53 pm

i kinda feel sad for Will because people seems to think Lyra's more interesting because she's all livelya dn happy...
.Stay with me tonight. .流れる星熱く. .闇をすべる. .Stay with me tonight. .光受け思い出させて. .Hold me.

CSA'08: Most Flirtatious, Biggest Attention Whore/Spammer/Post Whore, Svalbard Moment
CSA'09: Runner-up Camwhore, 3rd Sexiest
CSA'10: Most Missed

.Twitter. .Facebook. .Last.fm.
User avatar
Neptune
Twilight Saga Moderator
Twilight Saga Moderator
 
Posts: 7252
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:39 pm
Location: Castle of Cydonia
Gender: Female
Country: Malaysia (my)
Dæmon Species: Red bishop bird
Dæmon Name: Lelouch
Team: Edward

Postby Asha » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:29 pm

I love them both equally as I'd love a best friend and such.
What'sthebiglongkeyatthebottemofthekeyboardfor?
User avatar
Asha
Aëronaut
Aëronaut
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: The School

Postby EnderQuim » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:22 pm

You have to feel sorry for Will. I mean, his father's been gone for more than ten years. His obsessive-compulsive paranoid mother also has to drag her son into her "mind games". He's had to grow up too fast, caring for his mother and himself. And before Lyra, his only friend was his cat Moxie. He's had a hard time trusting adults.
...Yeah, poor Will.
EnderQuim
Steward
Steward
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:50 am
Location: (My nose) In a book

Postby Croatina » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:44 pm

He really did have to grow up fast, and almost act like a parent to his own mother. But I think all the sad events in his life made him into the knife bearer. He would probably not be like he is if his mother for example was healthy
Last edited by Croatina on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Croatina
Zalif
Zalif
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:48 pm

Postby ArcT » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:48 pm

*couNECROPOSTINGgh*
CAN IT WAIT FOR A BIT? I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF SOME CALIBRATIONS.
User avatar
ArcT
Opinions Administrator
Opinions Administrator
 
Posts: 14167
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:41 pm
Location: On every street...
Gender: Male
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
Dæmon Species: Tawny Owl
Dæmon Name: Tiao'ri

Postby A. E. Martin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Will is my favourite character out of all. I just find him so easy to relate to, for some reason.

I find his story very touching. Sometimes I just feel an urge to give him a nice brotherly hug, especially while reading TSK.
A. E. Martin
True Sraffie
True Sraffie
 
Posts: 2436
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:01 pm
Gender: Male
Country: United Kingdom (uk)

Postby lynxrider » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:54 pm

Uh, i saw something that had PP in it and he said that the whole series os based on lyra because the first and last words in the combined trilogy are "Lyra"

Signature images are against the rules as they break up discussion - please can you remove it :)
User avatar
lynxrider
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:42 pm
Location: The multiverse

Postby lyra_goldenmouth » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:32 pm

i agree with that. will is A main character but he isnt in TGC/NL but in the they both are the main characters.... so im not sure

lynxrider wrote:Uh, i saw something that had PP in it and he said that the whole series os based on lyra because the first and last words in the combined trilogy are "Lyra"

Signature images are against the rules as they break up discussion - please can you remove it :)
User avatar
lyra_goldenmouth
Experimental Theologian
Experimental Theologian
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: A place far far away youll never find me so dont try....

Postby toberses11 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:52 pm

I think Will is a much better charicter then Lyra she's a bit boring in the TSK I haven't finished it yet but i heard it's a rli sad ending,but i think some of the plot is a bit obvious eg the shadows tell Mary that she is the serpent and i could tell what was going to happan
toberses11
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:51 pm

Postby Nemi » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:02 pm

toberses11 - I too could guess what was going to happen when we were told of Mary's role as the serpent, but I think the seeming obviousness of that might have been done on purpose - that the intention of Philip Pullman was that as he would have expected that the readers would have assumed that some sort of romance would blossom between Will and Lyra, this was just a way to really confirm it for us.

I fell in love with Will's character from the start. The way that he is such a quiet, untypical and unboasting/humble hero, his sensitivity and sensibility and sense of individuality and the way he takes full responsibility for taking care of his mother, even though he was only a child who, as has been mentioned, had to mature fast - all are admirable characteristics. Oh, and in my mind's eye I've aways imagined him as really cute, too^^

I loved the first film, loved the actress portraying Lyra, really hope they find someone worthy of portraying Will's character too - hope is portrayed in the right way (though a discussion of the film should probably take place somewhere else on this message board^^)
"Believe me; If I hadn't thrown a punch at you, someone else would've" -Nemi

Nemi in english: http://www.metro.co.uk/metro/standard/a ... _page_id=1

Nemi in norwegian: http://spray.nettavisen.no/kultur/tegneserie/nemi/
User avatar
Nemi
Panserbjørn
Panserbjørn
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:00 am
Location: My mind inhabits its own wierd, random world which some people may get a proper glimpse intoat times

Postby JoeSchmo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:45 pm

lyra_goldenmouth wrote:i agree with that. will is A main character but he isnt in TGC/NL but in the they both are the main characters.... so im not sure

lynxrider wrote:Uh, i saw something that had PP in it and he said that the whole series os based on lyra because the first and last words in the combined trilogy are "Lyra"

Signature images are against the rules as they break up discussion - please can you remove it :)


Actually, wasn't the last word "Heaven"? as in the Republic of Heaven?
http://bux.to/?r=JoeSchmo


Seems so unjust - no camera, not even a photograph of her for him to have

But he'll never forget
User avatar
JoeSchmo
Zalif
Zalif
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: Paradise, the Republic of Heaven

Postby violet93 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:23 am

JoeSchmo wrote:
lyra_goldenmouth wrote:i agree with that. will is A main character but he isnt in TGC/NL but in the they both are the main characters.... so im not sure

lynxrider wrote:Uh, i saw something that had PP in it and he said that the whole series os based on lyra because the first and last words in the combined trilogy are "Lyra"

Signature images are against the rules as they break up discussion - please can you remove it :)


Actually, wasn't the last word "Heaven"? as in the Republic of Heaven?

Followed by "said Lyra." I believe. So yes, the last word is Lyra.
User avatar
violet93
Street Urchin
Street Urchin
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:18 pm
Location: Behind my camera lens.

Postby faze » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:39 pm

Wow, I thought I was obsesive...
*goes off to learn ENTIRE TRILOGY off by heart*

I've always had more sympathy for Will actually. Lyra's lovely and all, but she can be kinda thick at times. (For example, I think we're all agreed that Sir Charles was obvioulsly a bit dodgy...). Will always struck me as being the 'real person' in the books.
Fountain_Of_Dust wrote:Why, faze, O fountain of knowledge that thou art...


I'm not very nice, perhaps you noticed?

King of quarantine, most random, and my glory-thread was the best in quarantine all year. I AM YOUR KING.
User avatar
faze
Rebel Without A Clue
Rebel Without A Clue
 
Posts: 3642
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:55 pm
Location: His own bizzarre imagination...
Gender: Male
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
Dæmon Species: Crow
Dæmon Name: Felosia

Postby stonr34 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:11 pm

Personally, Will and Lyra ROCK! (both equally of course.)
"Tell Them Stories."
-His Dark Materials

"Beauty is Truth. Truth is Beauty. That is all ye know on Earth, and that is all ye need to know."
-John Keats

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them."
-Galileo Galilei
User avatar
stonr34
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:05 am
Location: Earth

Postby faze » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:01 pm

Oooh, you have The Bench for an avatar... :respect:
Sorry, off topic.
Fountain_Of_Dust wrote:Why, faze, O fountain of knowledge that thou art...


I'm not very nice, perhaps you noticed?

King of quarantine, most random, and my glory-thread was the best in quarantine all year. I AM YOUR KING.
User avatar
faze
Rebel Without A Clue
Rebel Without A Clue
 
Posts: 3642
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:55 pm
Location: His own bizzarre imagination...
Gender: Male
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
Dæmon Species: Crow
Dæmon Name: Felosia

Postby JoeSchmo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:41 pm

I find myself thinking about what happens to Will more than Lyra, because Lyra has the Master and the Gyptians and lots of others, but Will only has Mary to talk to. I can't wait for TBoD and the green book!
http://bux.to/?r=JoeSchmo


Seems so unjust - no camera, not even a photograph of her for him to have

But he'll never forget
User avatar
JoeSchmo
Zalif
Zalif
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:57 pm
Location: Paradise, the Republic of Heaven

Postby lyra_goldenmouth » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:20 pm

I know!!! like asha said i love them both equally.(friend sense)
dying in your sleep is a perfect way to die
User avatar
lyra_goldenmouth
Experimental Theologian
Experimental Theologian
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: A place far far away youll never find me so dont try....

Postby LordEC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:28 pm

I think that will is as important as lyra for the parts he is in he is the 2nd main character but yes lyra is central
LordEC
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:27 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Subtle Knife

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /home/hdm/public_html/system/common/views/version-1/common/footer.php on line 30: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

| 0.9472 | 45 days 10:00 | 0