Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4693: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Fun while reading!

This forum is for all the stuff related to the second book in the trilogy: The Subtle Knife.

Fun while reading!

Postby Unity7 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Whenever the Texans talk I like to speak that part aloud with a stereotypical Texan accent!
Unity7
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Re: Fun while reading!

Postby ArG » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:54 pm

That's one thing I never understood ----> is he from the USA Texas?
ArG
Watcher
Watcher

Dæmon Species: Cheetah
Dæmon Name: Duma
Team: Jacob

Postby Nightshine » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:54 pm

I think maybe it's a whole country named Texas, but since i haven't bought LO yet, i have no maps:/
Nightshine
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Postby Multiverse » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:29 pm

I also occasionally enjoy reading out loud to myself, especially for characters with accents. ^_^

Nightshine wrote:I think maybe it's a whole country named Texas, but since i haven't bought LO yet, i have no maps:/

I´m sorry to tell you, but LO doesn´t have any international maps of Lyra´s world - only a local one, showing the alternate Oxford.
Personally I thought through the whole series that, well, obviously Texas is in America, but now that you mention it - there is, of course, nothing indicating that the name Texas hasn´t been used elsewhere in Lyra´s world.

-Multiverse
"Afraid of Death? No. I have a fear, however, and that is a kind of Death. Not Betrayal, not that kind of Death. No, I´m afraid of any Death that comes before I´ve had my time. The only kind of Death I fear is Death before Life."
Multiverse
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby coulterfan692 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:23 am

I always assumed that in this world Texas was just a country by itself because he always said he came from the country of Texas rather than the state of Texas. Who knows if there's an America in Lyra's world or not.
coulterfan692
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: Monkey
Dæmon Name: Ozymandias

Postby jfrcoates » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:23 am

coulterfan692 wrote:I always assumed that in this world Texas was just a country by itself because he always said he came from the country of Texas rather than the state of Texas. Who knows if there's an America in Lyra's world or not.

America will be there in some form or another. It is possible that in Lyra's world the American Civil War played out very differently, resulting in a fractured country, or even lots of smaller countries, of which Texas is but one. Given that it's not explicitly explained in the books, it really is open to the imagination.
Savage Garden wrote:I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality.

Svalbard
Can has people buying my books?
jfrcoates
Fresh Food Fairy
Fresh Food Fairy

Dæmon Species: Stoat
Dæmon Name: Twitch

Postby ArG » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:54 pm

jfrcoates wrote:
coulterfan692 wrote:I always assumed that in this world Texas was just a country by itself because he always said he came from the country of Texas rather than the state of Texas. Who knows if there's an America in Lyra's world or not.

America will be there in some form or another. It is possible that in Lyra's world the American Civil War played out very differently, resulting in a fractured country, or even lots of smaller countries, of which Texas is but one. Given that it's not explicitly explained in the books, it really is open to the imagination.

I just realized that Texas was its own country for a couple of years. One of the reasons it no longer is is because of senator Sam Houston. If in her world he didn't exist then maybe Texas stayed its own country?
ArG
Watcher
Watcher

Dæmon Species: Cheetah
Dæmon Name: Duma

Postby JohnT » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:38 am

Well, somewhere I think they mention a place called "New France" (somewhere in the beginning of the Northern Lights, I believe). This suggests that perhaps, in Lyra's universe, the French won the equivalent of our universe's French and Indian War (Seven Years War for our British friends). The USA probably does not exist in Lyra's universe. It's amazing that Pullman makes so much is the same at all, considering that the point of divergence between Lyra's universe and our universe must be sometime well before humans became sentient beings- as evidenced by things such as "Cliff Ghasts" and fully sentient armored bears. In fact, Lyra's universe probably had to diverge at least 10 million years before the present time.

But yes, Texas is a separate country in Lyra's universe... maybe it's where alot of the British colonists fled after the French won.

IRL, I believe that basically Texas had to join the USA because they were too weak to beat back Mexico by themselves... so the USA did it for them in 1848.
JohnT
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby Neptune » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:48 pm

New France could be something like New England.
.Stay with me tonight. .流れる星熱く. .闇をすべる. .Stay with me tonight. .光受け思い出させて. .Hold me.

CSA'08: Most Flirtatious, Biggest Attention Whore/Spammer/Post Whore, Svalbard Moment
CSA'09: Runner-up Camwhore, 3rd Sexiest
CSA'10: Most Missed

.Twitter. .Facebook. .Last.fm.
Neptune
Twilight Saga Moderator
Twilight Saga Moderator

Dæmon Species: Red bishop bird
Dæmon Name: Lelouch
Team: Edward

Postby JohnT » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Neptune wrote:New France could be something like New England.

Yes, and who does that imply won the Seven Years War in Lyra's world? The information is sparse, but it appears Lyra's New World looks nothing like ours. The New World is probably pretty weak too, because there is so little mention of it.
JohnT
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Return to The Subtle Knife