Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4693: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Specters=Dementors???

This forum is for all the stuff related to the second book in the trilogy: The Subtle Knife.

Specters=Dementors???

Postby pantalaimon74 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:23 am

I've always thought that Specters and Dementors from Harry Potter are very alike. They both pretty much suck your soul out and cause fear and misery, so I would like to see other's thoughts on this.
pantalaimon74
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Re: Specters=Dementors???

Postby owen_thornton » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:02 am

i can see the link, but its very small. but spectres cause fear by being there, and making the adults fearful that their soul is going to be devoured, and leaving the body to die, where as dementors fead on happiness, leaving only fear and misery left for the victims to feel.
also, the dementors like to keep the victims alive, so they can feed on them for a long period of time, and the spectres kill the victims quickly.
"and so it ended, not with a bang or a whimper, but with nightmarish howls of glee" grubbs grady
"you can never step in the same river twice" cannae remember XD but i likes it
oeyä tireaioang syaw fko Aruthey. Po na lynx
owen_thornton
Gallivespian Captain
Gallivespian Captain

Location: in the depths of my imagination, with Aruthey and Sora
Dæmon Species: Lynx
Dæmon Name: Aruthey
Team: Jacob

Postby pantalaimon74 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Well I just saw a similarity...
pantalaimon74
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Postby pantalaimon74 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Plus pretty much everythng about them is the same except for the fact that kids can't see Specters and a couple other things. They just would seem like they developed from the same idea.
pantalaimon74
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Postby ArcT » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:37 pm

owen_thornton wrote:i can see the link, but its very small. but spectres cause fear by being there, and making the adults fearful that their soul is going to be devoured, and leaving the body to die, where as dementors fead on happiness, leaving only fear and misery left for the victims to feel.
also, the dementors like to keep the victims alive, so they can feed on them for a long period of time, and the spectres kill the victims quickly.

Sourceplox?

Reading TSK again, I found it a lot different, actually. The spectres seem to be feeding on the Dust/sraf/etcetera, causing a mind to lose its' conscious state. As with Tullio after he was forced way from the Torre degli Angeli, Will's mother attempts to avoid this process by concentrating as hard as possible on something mundane and forcing the mind to stay focussed as a defence against this loss of conscious thought. The man in the river, shortly after Serafina Pekkala arrives in Cittagazze's world, is also a point to note here, as he is not killed by the spectres at all - he simply loses the conscious desire to move from the middle of the river, no matter how his child cries.

The spectres are not killers. They're farmers. Or rather, foragers. They search out consciousness to feed on, and once done, move onto the next one, like you would do with bramble picking or something like that.

You're right about the dementors* however - they do seem to feed on the positive emotions of the world and leave only negatives. Powerful reading, but odd, as extremely negative emotions are generally a lot more energetic than positive ones.

Personally, I think you've got something here, pan (and unofficial nicknamer is BACK 8) ). It's a bit of a tenuous link, but it's definitely there.

*and seriously, iMac, you're really trying to make me type 'dement ors' here? That makes even less sense!
CAN IT WAIT FOR A BIT? I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF SOME CALIBRATIONS.
ArcT
Opinions Administrator
Opinions Administrator

Dæmon Species: Tawny Owl
Dæmon Name: Tiao'ri

Postby thewolfstar » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:16 am

I think they both do give the idea that 'death would be preferable' .
Harry: "Tell me one last thing. Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
Dumbledore: "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

Just because the forums aren't as active as they used to be, doesn't mean we're not anywhere else! FYI I'm now at the Harry Potter fan site, COS forums, as 'Liez' if you miss me!
thewolfstar
Watcher
Watcher

Dæmon Species: Red panda
Dæmon Name: Jaikasa

Postby pantalaimon74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Arc, that's exactly what I was going at. Same with wolfstar. See, you guys understand.
pantalaimon74
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Postby aurum sun » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:21 am

Spectors are paracites with feeble minds that can be seaminly be controlled like the dementors; showing allegiance to whoever can provide the most "food". Spectors can be killed by the knife. I don't recall any information that suggests that dementors can be killed only repelled.
What evidence is there that Will's mom was ever attacked by spectors?
aurum sun
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: Dragon
Dæmon Name: Mizuchi

Return to The Subtle Knife