Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4693: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Oxford roundabout

This forum is for all the stuff related to the second book in the trilogy: The Subtle Knife.

Postby Black_Rose » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:21 am

I'd LOVE to see Oxford!
Please read the rules

We need to talk about your TPS reports
Black_Rose
M.I.A.
M.I.A.

Dæmon Species: Falco peregrinus
Dæmon Name: Kattaó

Postby lakefever » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:41 am

we got some roundabouts in Vancouver, but they're not nearly as big as that Oxford one, and they're mostly in the suburbs. Which I never go to.
Always I want to live more intensely and richly. Say that i starved, that i was lost and weary, that i was frostbitten by the wind and blinded by the sun, footsore, thirsty, sick with strange diseases, lonely and wet and cold, but that i kept my dream!
lakefever
Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump
Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump

Postby EnderQuim » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:56 pm

We do have roundabouts here in the States but they're rare. There are 2 or 3 in this hoity-toity (read: snobby, rich) neighborhood near my house in Colorado Springs.
EnderQuim
Steward
Steward

Postby AlleyBoyUK » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:04 am

I live in Oxford and my bus to work goes past Sunderland Avenue (where the window to Cittagazze is) everyday. Havn't seen a window to another world yet but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Also in Northern Lights when Lyra is watching Lord Asriel's photogram in the Retiring Room at Jordan and is reminded of "the Anbaric Park on the road to Yarnton", that's my village! Quite cool to get a mention! :D
AlleyBoyUK
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Postby Lyra666 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:19 am

Miss_Parker wrote:So it is like a rotary!!! I only know of a few, and most people hate them so much that they're being replaced. Oh, well. I think I'll post a picture of one to be sure its the same thing.

although, there's usually more places to turn off on, right?

Well, I live in America so I've never actually seen one of these but it looks very busy... Wouldn't Will and Lyra be easliy seen if the window was in the middle circle thingy... is that middle thing even were the window is in the story?
"Tell me one last thing," said Harry. "Is this real? Or has this all been happening inside my head?"

Dumbledore beamed at him, "Of course it is happeneing inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Lyra666
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby edd » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:47 pm

No. The window is on one of the streets coming off the roundabout.
Joker wrote:Great. See, this is where it starts, and when we're all just organic batteries, guess who they'll blame? "This is all Joker's fault. What a tool he was. I have to spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord.
edd
His Dark Media Staff
His Dark Media Staff

Postby lyra_goldenmouth » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:56 am

svablard exists
dying in your sleep is a perfect way to die
lyra_goldenmouth
Experimental Theologian
Experimental Theologian

Location: A place far far away youll never find me so dont try....

Postby Lyra666 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:16 am

well even if it was on the street, wouldn't they be seen?
"Tell me one last thing," said Harry. "Is this real? Or has this all been happening inside my head?"

Dumbledore beamed at him, "Of course it is happeneing inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Lyra666
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby subtle_sword » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:22 pm

heres a fact (i think) about hornbeam trees...

the maze at Hampton court palace is made from hornbeam.....of some kind
Ride across the sky, thunder roll and lightning fly
Gone is the summer
What will keep us warm in the winter?
Tales of those who died, sword in hand in times gone by
Hail to the hammer! Hail to the hammer!
subtle_sword
Get Your Custom Title In Support!
Get Your Custom Title In Support!

Dæmon Species: Jackdaw
Dæmon Name: Uravira

Re: Oxford roundabout

Postby Pullfinger » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:59 am

I've come to this thread 10 years too late, but I found this because I'm reading TSK for the second time, having just returned from a visit to Oxford. I'm 100% sure Cutteslowe roundabout is the one described in the book. Will says he walked 10 mins and found himself in Summertown and that's spot on. The roundabout is no longer grassed and has been tarmac'ed over recently. Look on Google Streetview and go around the roundabout with the cursor. It changes from grassed to tarmac as you go around due to the inconsistent ages of the pics (or could it be someone at Google acknowledging the changing Worlds???) https://www.google.com.au/maps/@51.7881 ... 312!8i6656

If you're a tourist visiting Oxford be sure to visit the Oxford Museum of Natural History as Lizzy does. It's at the end of the same road going South. The room at the back is exactly as described with atrfacts collected by Pitt Rivers including shrunken heads, skulls, Inuit skins etc.
Pullfinger
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Previous

Return to The Subtle Knife