Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4693: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

did anyone else think sir charles was a pedophile??

This forum is for all the stuff related to the second book in the trilogy: The Subtle Knife.

Postby sorenowlsean » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:24 pm

This idea never occord to me when I was reading the books but now that i think about it it's really probable, I mean when you read the section when he's observing her over you can really see it
Cittagazze's Pet '09, '10
Cutest Couple with
Seyla
'09, '10
Photowhore '10.... Whut?

THANKS GUYS!
sorenowlsean
An Owl at Heart
An Owl at Heart

Dæmon Species: Barn Owl
Dæmon Name: Altivolus-decens

Postby jfrcoates » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:10 am

Yes, I did suspect a little... dodgyness with him, especially around Lyra. I never once trusted the guy, even before he was found out to be Boreal.
Savage Garden wrote:I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality.

Svalbard
Can has people buying my books?
jfrcoates
Fresh Food Fairy
Fresh Food Fairy

Dæmon Species: Stoat
Dæmon Name: Twitch
Team: Jacob

Postby apple_pie155 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:31 pm

MC is a seducer as she wants to get what she wants and as for Lord Boreal's case, he can be fond of every kind of women it seems!
I said maybe
You're gonna be the one who saves me ?
And after all
You're my wonderwall...
apple_pie155
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Postby AryaAurora » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:45 pm

I found myself getting the same notion. Latrom was just...gross, if you will.
AryaAurora
Gallivespian Captain
Gallivespian Captain

Postby subtle_sword » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:04 pm

hmmmm it did cross my mind......

----

he's going to be played my Christopher Lee isn't he in the movie

Posts merged. Please edit your post to add more to it instead of double posting, thanks. :)
Ride across the sky, thunder roll and lightning fly
Gone is the summer
What will keep us warm in the winter?
Tales of those who died, sword in hand in times gone by
Hail to the hammer! Hail to the hammer!
subtle_sword
Get Your Custom Title In Support!

Dæmon Species: Jackdaw
Dæmon Name: Uravira

Postby Provideniya » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:09 pm

Gah! Use edit-button, save the bunnies!

- ok, sorry about this offtopic. Just wanted to say that :P
. . . My Dæmon -=- My Site -=- My dragon, click'it! . . .

. . . . . . . . Burning starfire, shine in the sky
. . . . For the lives of great men, who stand by your side
. . . . . . . . When the night falls, on we will ride
. . . . . . . . For no lost souls will live on forever
Provideniya
Alethiometrist
Alethiometrist

Dæmon Species: Siberian Tiger
Dæmon Name: Voltina

Postby subtle_sword » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:10 pm

true....
Ride across the sky, thunder roll and lightning fly
Gone is the summer
What will keep us warm in the winter?
Tales of those who died, sword in hand in times gone by
Hail to the hammer! Hail to the hammer!
subtle_sword

Dæmon Species: Jackdaw
Dæmon Name: Uravira

Postby willaa » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:47 am

oh yessss
"the greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return"
lay all your love on me
“If people are truly, madly, deeply in love with each other, they will find a way.”

"Catholicism will keep me going. I'm a Catholic girl. It will always stay with you."
-nicole kidman
willaa
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Postby Alchymist » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:39 am

Wasen't Lyra approached by a paedophile trying to give her alcohol in The Northern Lights? Anyway thats beside the point...

Sir Charles was totally a paedophile and it kinda creeps me out a bit...
For my better half, I await the day when the roads lead us to one another.
Alchymist
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby Pilgrim » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:33 pm

Yes, I think he definately was. He probably wouldn't have acted on Lyra (Mrs Coulter would have torn him a new one) but he was clearly thinking along those lines.
Omnia Mutantur Nihil Interit
Pilgrim
True Sraffie
True Sraffie

Dæmon Species: Wolf
Dæmon Name: Seren

Postby latency » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:12 pm

I don't think he was, but he took Lyra to be a child and treated her as such, underestimating both her intelligence and her perception.

Kinda of like how a dentist offers a 14-year old a sticker for being brave.
“And I will seek to understand, rather than to be understood.” St. Francis Prayer
latency
Exempt from Rank

Dæmon Species: Jung's Anima
Dæmon Name: Tameth

Postby Otter » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:08 pm

At the end of TGC when Lord Asriel has torn the sky and is asking Mrs Coulter to go with him he mentions her lovers: "lie about your lovers-yes, I know about Boreal, and I care nothing..." which to me is very suggestive that her and Boreal had been lovers at some point. Probably a way for her to gain power but still.

Anyway, Lord Boreal was definitely a creepy guy, his tounge flicking out, echoing his snake-daemons behaviour etc but I don't think its meant to portray him as a paedophile. He takes in Lyra's appearance yes but that's observatory and is also an opportunity for the author to describe her appearance at that point. He treats her as a child. Remember that he knows exactly who she is and that she possesses the alethiometer and I believe that is his only motive-finding a way to steal it in order to get what he wants-to please Mrs Coulter by handing over Lyra and the alethiometer and gaining the subtle knife for himself. The description of Lyra having to climb across him to get out of the car, in my opinion is Lord Boreal's attempt to create an opportunity to steal the alethiometer without Lyra's knowing. He has no other interest in her-she is a "repellant brat". I honestly believe that it was not PP's intention to portray him as a paedophile or to suggest it, especially when the book is aimed at kids. It's an extremely sensitive subject and has no basis in the story I don't think.

That's my opinion anyway.
Otter
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby aletheia_philia » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:24 am

Yes def. I think it's pretty obvious- I definetly think Pullman intended it. He might have been especially taken with Lyra because she bears some resemblance to her mother. At least, that was my line of thought.
In addition, he is, as msspooky pointed out, a sleaze. Whenever he showed up I felt that I had to go take a shower afterwards.
"I am acquainted of no immaterial sensuality so delightful as good acting." -Lord Byron
aletheia_philia
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby jonoboy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:35 pm

Well... anyway Sir Charles is dead, poisoned by the evil Marisa, or Mrs Couter ( same person)
come here for money offering -
http://bux.to/?r=jonoboy
(register on right top)
(make paypal account and press cancel for the credit card bit to skip if you want)
Also, come here:
http://jonoboy.proboards59.com/index.cgi
jonoboy
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Postby jmattos » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:33 pm

I thought the same thing. I was like... "oh my God, an SVU moment in the making here...."
jmattos
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Postby Tomu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:10 am

I definitely got that impression, too. He certainly seemed to act like a paedophile, though at the same time I also thougt that he probably wasn't really one, because that wouldn't fit the story. But I do think that PP intentionally presented him like that. Maybe as a little lesson to children - "People that act that way are dangerous. If you meet someone like that, run!" - even if the children are too young to fully understand why.
My Dæmon is a luna moth and his name is Laefe.
Tomu
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby RomulusMyDaemon » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:36 pm

Well, now when I think back-yes. But, I doubt Phillip Pullman intended it to be like that, I've always thought the same as what Otter said.

But, didn't it say "Sir Andrews" looked about in his sixties in Lyra's point of view? Then in TGC, Lord Asriel says something about Lord Boreal being one of Marisa's "lovers". Yet, Mrs.Coulter is about in her young-thirties? A little weird if you ask me, even to get power.
"You and I could take the universe to pieces and put it together again, Marisa! You, me, and Lyra! We could do this together! We could be a family! Don't you see that, Marisa!"
-Lord Asriel
RomulusMyDaemon
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby rkidbrooksy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:50 pm

I must admit I wasn't quite sure about sir charles or Boreal, I just finnished TSK for the 2nd time this morning, and the bit that did disturb me was the bit when he made her get out the car across him. Originally i just thought it was a clever trick to swipe her alethiometer off her, which he did. But it still was creepy.
You'll Never Walk Alone
rkidbrooksy
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby Lyra666 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:45 pm

Feistee wrote:I definately had that thought, and in my head, I was chanting "run Lyra, run!" for the whole scene!

I think he and Mrs. Coulter were lovers *shudder* -- Asriel says so in the end of TGC/NL and that he didn't care about Boreal.

This is sooo true, p.396 :

(Lord Asriel) "... Lie about everything else, lie about the Oblation Board, lie about your lovers- yes, I know about Boreal, and I care nothing-"

8O and he almost raped her daughter!!!!
"Tell me one last thing," said Harry. "Is this real? Or has this all been happening inside my head?"

Dumbledore beamed at him, "Of course it is happeneing inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Lyra666
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby intrinsical » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:37 am

I just passed that point in my reread of the subtle knife, and I agree....
I think Pullman intended for him to seem like a pedophile, just so our first impression of him would be a bad one. So we wouldn't be fooled by his money or his nice cologne.
Yup.
intrinsical
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby Lyra666 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:20 pm

his cologne kinda freaked me out... it actually gave me a really award feeling, i have no idea why.. :lol:
"Tell me one last thing," said Harry. "Is this real? Or has this all been happening inside my head?"

Dumbledore beamed at him, "Of course it is happeneing inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Lyra666
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby daemon101 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:48 pm

corkysmackeldorf wrote
"deff thought he was. Me and my friends discuss it all the time. Im glad someone got the idea to start a thread on it. But the whole nasty smell to him and when she's getting outta the car and hes like "Oh no get out on this side, climbe over my lap". I was thinking "OMG he's totaly gonna rape her right there"."

what has a smell got do with child molesters?
daemon101
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby elevate » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:10 am

When it first described him, my mind screamed "Chimo" (child molester)
The greedy way he was looking at her and his demeaner just made me feel that way. When he pulled up in the limo and offered her a ride, I was like NO Lyra don't do it! But then he turned out to be a douche bag in an entirely different type of way.
Take some time, elevate. It's never too late to lose the hate.
elevate
Scholar
Scholar

Postby Lyra666 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:44 pm

idk wat smell means but.... its kinda like the way mc's perfume had an effect on people.... it just creeped me out :?

i think that he liked Lyra because she is so much like he mother

Lyra666
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby hemliquina » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Hmm ---
His true purpose was to get at the alethiometer, but I think he has pedophilia in his nature. When I first read that part, I was like, "Oh noes, I hope Lyra doesn't get raped..!" O: But yeah. Pullman gave the children a good message... don't trust strangers, for they always have dark intentions in mind. His may have not been of a sexual nature (but I still think he may have had those thoughts...) but they were still harmful to Lyra, in the end.

Ahh, I do not like that man. Not one bit.
hemliquina
Scholar
Scholar

Location: Chilling out the chilly recesses of Canada, probably reading, writing, or playing video games.

PreviousNext

Return to The Subtle Knife