Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4693: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

did anyone else think sir charles was a pedophile??

This forum is for all the stuff related to the second book in the trilogy: The Subtle Knife.

Re: did anyone else think sir charles was a pedophile??

Postby Mils » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:13 am

Ya, that's in the book. But she was helping Lyra bathe, cause in their world you either had a servent or parent/gaurdian help you, so MC was helping Lyra. She just wanted Pan to look away from Lyra though.
"because He's Will"
Mils
Alethiometrist
Alethiometrist

Dæmon Species: Lion
Dæmon Name: Agapius
Team: Jacob

Postby Dustbin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:10 pm

So many people got the impression that he was a paedophile...I wonder why PP implied it so heavily? Since people generally hate paedophiles, maybe it was to get us to root for Lyra, so the book would be more emotionally involving...?
Dustbin
Steward
Steward

Dæmon Species: Cat
Dæmon Name: Phalanx

Postby Mils » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:43 am

Maybe. I think that it also got us to think against him while reading, and be cautious of his character to set up his danger in the book.
"because He's Will"
Mils
Alethiometrist
Alethiometrist

Dæmon Species: Lion
Dæmon Name: Agapius
Team: Jacob

Postby dannyyyy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:31 pm

i think hes a pedo. nuff said.
"Time waits for no one"
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
dannyyyy
Rebel Commander
Rebel Commander

Dæmon Species: Eagle
Dæmon Name: Kiyoshi

Postby LyraPanFan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:48 pm

That part made it sound like he was, I read it at like 4am and had to look out my window a few times.
Plus I'm Lyra's age, 12 years old, I got a little chill, but further in the book, I didn't think like that anymore.

He is allies with pedo-bear :o
LyraPanFan
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: arctic fox
Dæmon Name: Hironazyvi

Postby HDMforever » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:42 am

I didn't get that vibe from him, but as most of you probably know I am extremely naive. So maybe he was...I definitely got a bad feeling when he came on, because it really was heavily implied that pedophile or not he's a bad person. About the smell, though--it was an IDEA of a smell, probably meaning that Lyra wasn't sure she could trust him either at first.

Anyway, I think it could go either way. It's likely that he could have been, but still you never know...me with my naivety, I think he's less likely to be one than Otyets Semyon or whatever his name was, that priest. But for right now I'm going to say yes he (Sir Charles) was.

OMG I JUST REALIZED THAT SIR CHARLES/LORD BOREAL WAS IN THE WORLD OF THE DEAD WHEN THEY LET EVERYONE OUT!!!!!!!!

Sorry I'm done now...
"True love doesn't have a happy ending. True love doesn't have an ending." -Anonymous-

"He thought she would die of her grief there and then. She flung herself into his arms, clinging passionately to his shoulders, pressing her nails into his back and her face into his neck, and all he could hear was, "No--no--no..."" -Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass, pg. 485
HDMforever
Zalif
Zalif

Dæmon Species: Pine Marten
Dæmon Name: Niophus

Postby Dustbin » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:27 pm

Actually, a LOT of people were in the world of the dead...Sir Charles...Tony Makarios...the guy who sacrificed himself to try and kill Lyra with the bomb...and the other characters that died that I can't remember (I assume there are a few)
Dustbin
Steward
Steward

Dæmon Species: Cat
Dæmon Name: Phalanx

Postby HDMforever » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:49 pm

Yeah, I know...I just realized it on my latest reread. :P I'm surprised none of them had comments to make on Lyra and Will's plan...
"True love doesn't have a happy ending. True love doesn't have an ending." -Anonymous-

"He thought she would die of her grief there and then. She flung herself into his arms, clinging passionately to his shoulders, pressing her nails into his back and her face into his neck, and all he could hear was, "No--no--no..."" -Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass, pg. 485
HDMforever
Zalif
Zalif

Dæmon Species: Pine Marten
Dæmon Name: Niophus

Postby Corncopucia » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:46 am

Pretty sure they stopped caring, as I remember a part of the second book where the witch who is eavesdropping on Mrs. Coulter and Boreal was devoured by a Specter, and it mentions that she felt really hopeless, and such. I think that's how the dead felt, except for Roger, because he was thinking about Lyra.
Back to overall perviness, yes. Very yes, in fact. I noticed that on the second retread, and I remember thinking "Wow, I just noticed that." With Pullman you just have to read again and again, and more and more meaning comes out.
Many a false step is made by standing still
Or you could trip.
Corncopucia
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: Red Squirrel
Dæmon Name: Sençelt

Postby Missilvertongue » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:56 pm

I definetely did, especially when he was with Lyra in the rolls royce, and it creeped me out...
Missilvertongue
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby Ali_Theometer » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 pm

kauldron26 wrote:i swear when i was reading the subtle knife and that scene with lyra at the museum, we see lyra through sir charles point of view, him watching her legs, intentionally brushing her fingers, giving her his card, him licking his lips, lyra described him as a perfumed palace with rotten food beneath... i swear i was so freaked out and perturbed. i was like pullman is effing brave for introducing real live evil outside of the fantastical kind.... but then it turned out all he wanted was the golden compass... lol.... maybe i've just been watching too much law and order SVU.

The thought did cross my mind for a moment and like others, I assumed that Pullman deliberately wrote him that way. However, my suspicions about his motive shiften tac when Lyra noticed what she thought was a worm or a snake hidden in his sleeve (I forget which now).
"We’ve got to study and think and work hard, all of us, in all our different worlds, and then we’ll build..."
"And then what?" said her Dæmon sleepily "build what?"
"The Republic of Heaven."
Ali_Theometer
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Dæmon Species: Wolf
Dæmon Name: Snotra

Postby Danz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:05 am

I did! And also the guy with the lemur Dæmon who bought her food at the stand. Totally disturbing.
"...And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!"
(Lord Byron)
Danz
Aëronaut
Aëronaut

Dæmon Species: White-Browed Tit-War
Dæmon Name: Talmai