Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4693: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Will's deamon

This forum is for all the stuff related to the second book in the trilogy: The Subtle Knife.

Re: Will's deamon

Postby missy » Thu May 28, 2009 5:09 pm

no John just walked into Lyra's world and saw Sayan Kotor. so mabe if you go to Lyra's world or even other worlds that aren't your own you can see your Dæmon?? How come it said that Mary cant see peoples Dæmon? or was it just her own? but that will could see any ones Dæmon? He saw Pan when he first met Lyra
"We have to be all those difficult things like cheerful and kind and curious and patient, and we've got to study and think and work hard, all of us, in all our different worlds."
missy
Experimental Theologian
Experimental Theologian

Dæmon Species: Ermine
Dæmon Name: Schal
Team: Jacob

Re:

Postby Seph Silvertounge » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:18 am

rainbowdarling wrote:His dæmon wouldn't be settled when the cat saved him, though. It could have been in any form at that time. It's a good theory, but only in terms of what his dæmon finally settled as.

I think that maybe, Will's Dæmon may have been in a cat form right then. Or maybe he talked to the earthly cast to help will

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, but Lyra's Dæmon was visible. She couldn't see Wills probably since his world didn't have enough dust- or the Dæmon didn't- wasn't able to be seen until they went to another world.
Seph Silvertounge
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Postby dannyyyy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:46 pm

i just wondered what happened after will went back, because he lived with mary (says so in the papers i think) but then what?
"Time waits for no one"
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
dannyyyy
Rebel Commander
Rebel Commander

Dæmon Species: Eagle
Dæmon Name: Kiyoshi

Postby Ancient_7 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:50 am

When I first read TSK, I wondered if the cat was his Dæmon, as Will was special, he could have been the only one whose Dæmon was visible in our world. Then, obviously, I understood that his cat couldn't be his Dæmon, but we can wonder if his Dæmon or some kind of spirit was able to take control of the cat of tell them to act this way toward Will.
Anyway, the book announces his Dæmon's form since the begining. :mrgreen:
Ancient_7
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: Tawny Owl
Dæmon Name: Philathèna

Postby Azalea » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:19 pm

It is true that he has an amzingly strong bond with cats of all sorts. Perhaps that that is because he is like them in many ways(half-wild, calm, concentrated, fierce, etc). Maybe it's just hasard though. Maybe P.P was just particularly obsessed with cats when he invented Will. Only he knows.
"she turned to him and said,Will..."
Azalea
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: Clouded leopard
Dæmon Name: Wanderer

Postby HDMforever » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:54 pm

I think it was foreshadowing to when Will does see his dæmon settled--he has that love for cats, and he sort of acts like one sometimes, so PP was probably trying to hint at it. The cat that followed them in was, I think, mostly a plot device.
"True love doesn't have a happy ending. True love doesn't have an ending." -Anonymous-

"He thought she would die of her grief there and then. She flung herself into his arms, clinging passionately to his shoulders, pressing her nails into his back and her face into his neck, and all he could hear was, "No--no--no..."" -Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass, pg. 485
HDMforever
Zalif
Zalif

Dæmon Species: Pine Marten
Dæmon Name: Niophus

Postby deniche2526 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:32 am

I got this from His Dark Materials: The Definitive Guide By Laurie Frost
Laurie Frost Says:
Even before Kirjava is visible, Lyra is curtain of her existence, and imagines the Dæmon of the boy she'd just met would "express a nature that was savage, and courteous, and unhappy." When the cat who Will followed through the Sunderland Avenue window into Cittagazze jumps into the boy's arms after he takes on the kids abusing it in that world, Lyra is convinced that his Dæmon has finally appeared.The behaviour of this same cat in helping them flee from Latrom/Boreal in Oxford again brings to her mind how his Dæmon would behave, if not internalised within him.
“Books which satisfy us and feed us and nourish us have to have this substratum of genuine truth in them, ... And I don't see much of that in most fantasy.”
-Philip Pullman
deniche2526
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Location: Somewhere not unlike our world but somehow different...
Dæmon Species: Ferret
Dæmon Name: Lúmskur

Postby Azalea » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:45 am

Yeah, that makes sense. That's an interesting quote actually. Is it a good book?
"she turned to him and said,Will..."
Azalea
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: Clouded leopard
Dæmon Name: Wanderer

Postby Danz » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:07 am

I think all of Will's incidents with cats were meant to hint at his own cat-like nature and also at the future fact that his Dæmon will take the form of a cat.
"...And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!"
(Lord Byron)
Danz
Aëronaut
Aëronaut

Dæmon Species: White-Browed Tit-War
Dæmon Name: Talmai
Team: Edward

Postby Torak » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:40 am

At the end of TAS serefina mentions that no one except Will and Mary will be able to see their Dæmons. I can understand why this would happen with Mary, however i think due to the way will's Dæmon came to be, other people would still be able to see her. Just like will could see his farthers Dæmon, it wouldn't be to complicated for the storey if Will's Dæmon was visible seeing as she could move away from him whenever.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar;
I love not man the less, but Nature more
Torak
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Dæmon Species: Grey Wolf
Dæmon Name: Borealis

Previous

Return to The Subtle Knife