Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›

What to do after finishing the trilogy...

Post any comments or remarks that apply to the books in general here.

What to do after finishing the trilogy...

Postby Isabel » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:19 pm

Well, I finished the trilogy for about the 5th time a couple of days ago :/ I've already read Lyra's Oxford, I'm now reading Once Upon a Time in the North, but thats pretty short, it will only last a day or two I think. Whenever I finish HDM I always feel a sense of loss, because I won't be able to read them again and be in that world for a while, and its sort of like "well... what do I do now?"
I've seen The Golden Compass before, or at least some of it, but I've ordered that on amazon and will have it tomorrow :) so I can watch that. I also did the most obsessive (ie geekiest) thing of my life and spent a few hours drawing out the alethiometer (the one on the cover of Northern Lights) to scale ( have no experience doing anything like that by the way), using a compass and measuring out the angles and going over everything with a very fine black pen :P so now thats done and I want more HDM-ness... so does anyone have any suggestions?
Things to do, things to read, things to listen to, anything really. What do you do when you finish the series but want more?
Ideally Philip Pullman would publish The Book Of Dust... no, not yet? A few more years you say? :(
Isabel
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Re: What to do after finishing the trilogy...

Postby CMR » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:59 pm

You could browse the HDM fan fiction websites, and/or write your own fan fiction for it.
You pull me through time.
CMR
Time Lord Victorious
Time Lord Victorious

Postby tearsintheearth » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:17 pm

yeah read the fan-fics, some of them are really good and have happier endings, but I never really believe them, it just doesn't seem right.
"we have to build the republic of heaven where we are because for us there is no elsewhere"
All's for the best in the best of all possible worlds
Everyone wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die
tearsintheearth
Steward
Steward

Dæmon Species: Kestrel
Dæmon Name: Αεì πιστός

Postby aurora borealis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:32 pm

True, some of them lack the HDM feeling, mainly due to the fact people put their own "wishes" into them etc.
But read them. It's an interesting way to see if more people share your views on the series.

Another suggestion, though it might be a strange one- read Paradise Lost. It's one of the works that inspired the great Philip Pullman to write HDM.
(Haven't read it myself, but I'm planning on doing so soon)
...And if you gaze for long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
aurora borealis
Witch
Witch

Postby Makarov » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:00 pm

I would start reading different books, maybe get into another series. A long one to take your mind off of it. Then in a while you can reread HDM again. Atleast that's what I'm doing, I only first read HDM last year. But if you've read it 5 times you probably have done that before. Maybe the Book of Dust will be out before the next time you read the trilogy.
Makarov
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Postby JohnT » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:29 am

SImple, just read more books. HDM isn't the only good work of fiction out there. Since I read HDM last November, I've read perhaps around 20 other novels, mostly science fiction. I'll find a good author and go with it. I'll usually check out reviews on Amazon and usually, any work of fiction that hasn't received at least 4 out of 5 stars ain't worth reading. The best ones I've read in the past year or so have been A Deepness in the Sky (Verner Vinge), A Fire Upon the Deep (Verner Vinge), the Forever War (Joe Halderman), Startide Rising (David Brin), Uplift War (David Brin), Old Man's War (John Scalzi- supposedly this one's going to be made into a movie soon), the following two novels in series following Old Man's War (forgot their names), and surprisingly, The Mote in God's Eye (Larry Niven and someone else)... surprising because I didn't like the only other Niven novel I read, and I've never read a good novel that was penned by two authors. Right now, I'm on the novel The Dispossessed by Ursula le Guin, and it's pretty good. Just started it though.

I also read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. It was very entertaining, but shallow, and the author used some cheap tricks to ratchet up the tension.

But yea, that's not the list of my favorite novels ever, that's just a list of the better ones I've read in the past year. The point is... there's a lot of good fiction out there. My procedure for finding good works of fiction is the folowing:
1) Comb through lists of the award winning novels/ people's favorites. The Hugo and Nebula award winners and nominee lists are one GOOD source, but should not be a sole source... for example, my favorite two works, the Lord of the Rings and HDM, didn't make the Hugo award list (Hugo award is awarded to best sci-fi or fantasy novel of the year) because the LOTR pre-dated the Hugo award, and HDM is considered a young adult's novel. So google stuff like "greatest sci-fi novels" or "greatest fantasy novels". You'll get all sorts of lists.

2) Look at reviews on Amazon.com- see what other people have said. Usually, if it doesn't get at least 4 out of 5 stars, you should probably skip it and look for something else (unless the novel is a continuation of a series you have been reading already).
JohnT
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby tearsintheearth » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:24 pm

I do agree, It can be hard to immediately start another book but its the best thing to do, I haven't read most of the above but I read the Forever War a couple of years ago, did it come in three parts or was the it just the first book? I seem to remember the first two books were really good but I lost interest with the third book.
"we have to build the republic of heaven where we are because for us there is no elsewhere"
tearsintheearth
Steward
Steward

Postby Mossface12 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:04 pm

I feel better after finishing a beloved series if I keep my mind off of it and search for another book- there are tons of books out there- some even greater than HDM
Mossface12
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Postby tearsintheearth » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:08 pm

I tend to keep my mind off books for a couple of weeks, do some sport and some work. After that they've sort of faded from my mind. If you haven't read A Song of Ice and Fire do so, they are really long and you'll be able to re-read HDM once you have.
tearsintheearth
Steward
Steward

Postby latency » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:54 pm

I have the same issue with many things I read and watch... I find the best thing is to immerse yourself in the culture.

As mentioned, read similar works, or failing that, just find people to talk about it with!

We're doing an official re-read (at least, all the oldies are) in the new year- you can either re-read with us, or if it's still fresh in your mind, there's no reason why you can't join in our discussion!
“And I will seek to understand, rather than to be understood.” St. Francis Prayer
latency
Exempt from Rank

Dæmon Species: Jung's Anima
Dæmon Name: Tameth

Postby tearsintheearth » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:19 am

Nice, I'm a few chapters into TAS at the moment so it'll still be fresh in my mind whenever you guys post about it. Hopefully PP will bring out TBOD before everyone forgets about it or he gives up on it himself!
tearsintheearth
Steward
Steward

Postby latency » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:44 am

Haha, that's been the cry around here for literally ten years.

'When TBOD comes out, we'll have something new to talk about...' we said...

Then the film came along, and... well... never mind.
“And I will seek to understand, rather than to be understood.” St. Francis Prayer
latency
Exempt from Rank

Dæmon Species: Jung's Anima
Dæmon Name: Tameth

Return to General Discussion