Hello there! Please sign in or create a new account.
Click on the tab to open the menu ›
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4693: file_get_contents(/var/www/server): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

I just saw the movie!! [SPOILERS]

Any comments, ideas, fears about the movies? Post them here.

Re: I just saw the movie!! [SPOILERS]

Postby Leanham » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:47 pm

I saw "The Golden Compass" a week ago or so... of course its nothing compared to the book, but Nicole Kidman as Mrs. Coulter is perfect! I felt very happy when I heard that Daniel Craig was playing in this movie too.. until I heard whom he played ~.~ HE'S NOT LORD ASIREL!! T.T
Leanham
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Dæmon Species: Timber Wolf
Dæmon Name: Seth
Team: Jacob

Postby Neptune » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:16 pm

I thought he was fitted when they casted him, not too happy, not too sad.
However, I did jump when Nicole Kidman was casted. :)
.Stay with me tonight. .流れる星熱く. .闇をすべる. .Stay with me tonight. .光受け思い出させて. .Hold me.

CSA'08: Most Flirtatious, Biggest Attention Whore/Spammer/Post Whore, Svalbard Moment
CSA'09: Runner-up Camwhore, 3rd Sexiest
CSA'10: Most Missed

.Twitter. .Facebook. .Last.fm.
Neptune
Twilight Saga Moderator
Twilight Saga Moderator

Dæmon Species: Red bishop bird
Dæmon Name: Lelouch
Team: Edward

Postby Leanham » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:11 pm

I don't know.. I was more imagening someone like him:

(But it's very likley that I just imagened him that way because I love him and Mediterranean looking guys xD, so comparing that seems to be a good way to make me happy)
Leanham
Street Urchin
Street Urchin

Dæmon Species: Timber Wolf
Dæmon Name: Seth

Postby dannyyyy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:14 am

by demon cage, do u mean the intersition thing, because they showed that, mrs coulter ran in and stopped it when lyra was in there.
Or di u mean the little place that billy roger and lyra went to with demons in little cages....as i write it, i realise u mean the second one....seems so odvious now.
"Time waits for no one"
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
dannyyyy
Rebel Commander
Rebel Commander

Dæmon Species: Eagle
Dæmon Name: Kiyoshi

Postby Erin_wolf » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:40 pm

I just saw the movie a few days ago, and it was a little different.

First of all I was very surprised about how far the dæmons could go from their humans; like whenever the Master of Jordan College went into a room in the beginning, his raven dæmon would fly off. I think that would be painful for him, so they must have made that mistake.

Also it was pretty weird how they made Lyra go to Svalbard first, and in the book she goes to Bolvangar first.
He He He
Erin_wolf
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: Coyote
Dæmon Name: Turquin

Postby thewolfstar » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:54 pm

I got interested in the movie before I went to see it 2 years ago and, unlike most people who hadn't read the books, I didn't get confused by the storyline and how fast it flowed. I found out what Dæmon actually were and what the alethiometer exactly did before I went to see the movie and fell in love with it. But even though if you hadn't read the books yet, you would be quite disappointed by the quick ending. I wanted, and still want now, more! Everyone does I expect. And when I read the books afterwards, I understood it more. But you can't bad mouth the changes in the movie all the time. No one can make a perfect book-film adaption. You can't blame New Line for every little thing that is wrong. Anyway the movie has been done and we should move on and accept it. I'm greatly saddened by the low possibility of a TSK film. I still remember the day my dad and I were sitting in the cinema just as the credits were rolling in to my disappointment and my dad saying "Well, we'll have to watch the sequel when it comes out then." To be honest, I sometimes can't stop thinking about a sequel. I even had a dream about a trailer for it then I woke up in the middle of it and I was so disappointed and sad. Anyway for now we can only hope. I didn't mind the changes made in the film (well I guess you don't if you saw the movie first). I'm just thankful that it wasn't rated M or something otherwise there is a likely chance I would have never seen it, so there are some good sides of the movie being more "kid friendly". The film was quite funny too. But I feel some of the characters didn't make a big enough impression or emotion, like with Ma Costa when she finally reunites with Billy and only reacting as though he had lost a toy and it'll be replaced or found again, rather than realising he had lost his Dæmon of a soul and now her kid is like a sort of "zombie". Besides that, I thought everything was good. NK as MC was great, and I do prefer her blond. DBR is totally awesome! And the bear fight is my favourite scene. The jaw-breaking bit I thought was the best bit of the movie. But when I first saw it, I didn't quite get it 'cause I didn't notice it and thought Iorek ripped off a piece of armour or something and left me wondering how Ragnar/Iofur got so helpless. Then I watched it for the second time and realised what Iorek actually ripped off and I was like "Oh.........K". I better stop here 'cause this is getting too long.

Overall, awesomest movie EVER!
Harry: "Tell me one last thing. Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
Dumbledore: "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

Just because the forums aren't as active as they used to be, doesn't mean we're not anywhere else! FYI I'm now at the Harry Potter fan site, COS forums, as 'Liez' if you miss me!
thewolfstar
Watcher
Watcher

Dæmon Species: Red panda
Dæmon Name: Jaikasa

Postby professor_a » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:08 pm

Overall, it is an exeptionally good movie. However, if I hadn't read the book first, I might have been a bit lost. And I really don't see why they had Svalbard before Bolvangar.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer
If you're a pretender come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin
Come in, come in!

~Shel Silverstein
professor_a
Scholar
Scholar

Dæmon Species: Wild Cat
Dæmon Name: Aurala

Postby CMR » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Might watch it again this evening, to see if it's really as bad as I remember it being.
You pull me through time.
CMR
Time Lord Victorious
Time Lord Victorious

Postby CMR » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Watched it again yesterday to see if...well, see above.

The things that struck me were:

- The beginning seemed very cliché. I know they had to compact down a lot of information into a short period of time, but the way they brought in things like the alethieometers, the witchs' prophecy, etc... just seemed far too generic - the kind of thing you've seen a million times before.

- The first Coulter/Lyra scene was just ridiculous. She's known this woman all of 60 seconds and is happy to bugger off to the North for months with her... That was way too rushed.

- The CGI of things like the bear fight, the Dæmon deaths, the alethieometer, etc... was well done and looked nice.

- I was quite confused when at the beginning Asriel seemed to take the A/metor out of a bag or something and it was quite small, fitting eaisly in the palm of his hand. But then when it was given to Lyra, it was much bigger :-/

- The ending was...eh. If I hadn't read the book first and knew it was wrong, I suppose it would have seemed okay. And given that there won't be anymore films, I suppose it's okay as it ends on a sort of message of hope. But still...eh.

- Some of the acting was terrible as well. The most cringeworthy example I can remember being when the kid playing Billy Costa was being strangled when the money Dæmon was strangling his rat one....Deary me.

Overall it seemed rushed, it seemed to be trying to fit too much in in a short space of time. It was okay, but no more than a 6 or 7 out of 10 at best.
You pull me through time.
CMR
Time Lord Victorious
Time Lord Victorious

Postby Michael555 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:59 am

New Line were such cowards and idiots for putting this film out in the state that it's in. Complete and utter idiots. They should've just kept with the original length and the ending and released that. I know I've moaned about this so much, but I still cannot believe the massive amount of stupidity that ruined this film.
Michael555
Steward
Steward

Postby aurora borealis » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:36 pm

CMR wrote:Watched it again yesterday to see if...well, see above.

The things that struck me were:

- The beginning seemed very cliché. I know they had to compact down a lot of information into a short period of time, but the way they brought in things like the alethieometers, the witchs' prophecy, etc... just seemed far too generic - the kind of thing you've seen a million times before.

Agreed on that, CMR. It seemed to me that they wanted to transfer all this information to people who aren't familiar with HDM, but did it the wrong way. Not only that, but (as I have said before on some other thread) some of the facts were rather exaggerated , e.g "Only one compass remains and only one who can read it". It seems they wanted to create a somewhat dramatic and mystic effect but in the process lost the HDM-ishness.

- I was quite confused when at the beginning Asriel seemed to take the A/metor out of a bag or something and it was quite small, fitting eaisly in the palm of his hand. But then when it was given to Lyra, it was much bigger :-/

I'm not sure, but I think what Lord Asriel took out of the bag was the photogram he later projected in the retiring room, rather than the alethiometer, but you might be right.
...And if you gaze for long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
aurora borealis
Witch
Witch

Dæmon Species: Kestrel

Postby thewolfstar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:31 am

It was the photogram; you see the aurora and the rest of the picture inside it.
Harry: "Tell me one last thing. Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
Dumbledore: "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

Just because the forums aren't as active as they used to be, doesn't mean we're not anywhere else! FYI I'm now at the Harry Potter fan site, COS forums, as 'Liez' if you miss me!
thewolfstar
Watcher
Watcher

Dæmon Species: Red panda
Dæmon Name: Jaikasa

Postby professor_a » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:30 am

Name one book that hasn't been "rearranged" when made into a movie. *sigh* It's a travesty.
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer
If you're a pretender come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin
Come in, come in!

~Shel Silverstein
professor_a
Scholar
Scholar

Dæmon Species: Wild Cat
Dæmon Name: Aurala

Postby Anouk2007 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:36 pm

^I once found a movie that was exactly how it was written in the book.. Shame I cant remember the title..
"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know" -Diane Arbus
Anouk2007
Scholar
Scholar

Dæmon Species: Panther
Dæmon Name: Thera

Postby daemonsguardian » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:17 pm

PLEASE! will they do a remake of this??? what will it be like?????? someone tell meeeee?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it's okay, i don't have to be frightened, my Dæmon is sitting on my shoulder, licking his fur as an black ermine.
daemonsguardian
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: unsettled for now
Dæmon Name: none right now :(

Postby jfrcoates » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:29 am

Simple answer: no. They won't be making a remake.
Savage Garden wrote:I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality.

Svalbard
Can has people buying my books?
jfrcoates
Fresh Food Fairy
Fresh Food Fairy

Dæmon Species: Stoat
Dæmon Name: Twitch

Postby aurora borealis » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:08 pm

No, as jfrcoates said,the most likely situation is that, unfortunately, they won't.
However, I wonder what it would be like if someone attempted to do this as an indie. Maybe some really avid fan.
(Just one of my weird ponder-some thoughts.)
...And if you gaze for long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
aurora borealis
Witch
Witch

Dæmon Species: Kestrel

Postby MarisaxAsriel123 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:50 pm

I saw the movie before reading the books, because I'm a massive Nicole Kidman fan, and I have a ridiculous crush on Daniel Craig <3. Anyway, I thought it was good, but then I read the books, and I was little disappointed. The books were phenomenal, and they cut out some of the best parts in the movie. I was hoping for the Coulter/Asriel scene at the end, and I know they filmed it, because it's in the commercials, but it was cut. I was wanted the whole caged Dæmon thing, and I was missing the line, "You're my father, en't you?" "Yes. So what?"

Overall, though, I think the movie put the basics of the book together very well.
"I see," she said.
And she pushed him hard, so that he fell out of the machine.
MarisaxAsriel123
Settled Dæmon
Settled Dæmon

Dæmon Species: White Siberian Tiger
Dæmon Name: Alistair

Postby payalnagar38 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:24 am

recently i watched run all night movie. This is superb action movie.
payalnagar38
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Postby benjo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 am

Coco was excellent. Highly recommend it to everyone. A bit too Disney-ish. Always have to have betrayal and trauma involved in these movies...so weird
www.seattlesmobilemechanic.com
benjo
Unsettled Dæmon
Unsettled Dæmon

Previous

Return to General Movie Discussion