Basic Facts About The Book of Dust
- The Book of Dust will be a companion novel to His Dark Materials.
- Philip Pullman is actively writing The Book of Dust as we speak.
- The Book of Dust will explain Lyra's world.
- The Book of Dust will explain the origin of Dust.
- The Book of Dust will explain the background histories of secondary characters like Lee Scoresby and Serafina Pekkala.
- The Book of Dust will not be a simple reference book, but a story-driven, not reference-driven guide.
- The Book of Dust will be richly illustrated.
- The Book of Dust will give information about the alethiometer and the history of the subtle knife.
- Kirsty Woodfield went to hear Philip Pullman talk at the Natural History Museum in Oxford and he talked about the Book of Dust. He said that the book wouldn't be about Lyra and Will, as that story had finished, but that it would feature Lyra when she is older - 4 years older than she is in Lyra's Oxford.
- The Book of Dust will feature Lyra as the main character.
What Philip Pullman Has To Say
David: Will you be writing any more books with the same characters in? Please say yes!
Philip: I will be writing another book later on when I am finished the book I am doing now. I will be writing another book set in the same world and dealing with some of the same characters, it won't be a continuation of the story, this particular story, but it will be set in the same world and dealing with the same sort of things.
"The Book of Dust will not be a simple reference book--far from it. I want to go into the background of Lyra's world, and the creation myth that underpins the whole trilogy, and to say something about some of the other characters, and about the alethiometer and the history of the subtle knife, and so on. Furthermore I want it to be richly illustrated. It'll be story-driven, not reference-driven, and I'll need to brood over it in silence before I find the right form for it."
- Philip Pullman, "Letter from London", Publisher's Weekly, March 05 2001
"It’s about Dust. It’s not really a sequel. The main character will be Lyra of course, and she will be a bit older. But I don’t really want to say too much more than that yet. I’m well into the story, but I’ve had a lot of interruptions. It will be published in two years or so."
- Philip Pullman at the Oxford Literary Festival, 2007.
Have you got any information about the Book of Dust? Drop us a line!